Thinking about selling

Information regarding the status of the site.
Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thinking about selling

Post by Skillz »

Thinking about selling off the ut-files.com domain. :hs:
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

TijG

Re: Thinking about selling

Post by TijG »

Send me a PM or mail on pieter@1ago.be, we can work something out.

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Feel free to send me a PM with your offer.

AbsoluteZero

Post by AbsoluteZero »

I may know someone interested in buying it, but im not sure i could find someone who has the time to maintain/add to it. Would u still be willing to run the site if u got donations?

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Well the thing here is the site is broken. I upgraded to the latest version of PHP and it broke my php scripts that served the downloads for the repositories. I've spent a little time trying to update the code, but it's going to take a lot more time and knowledge than I know.

The second thing is COVID-19 has severely effected my income and I soon wont even be able to afford the hosting. I have considered pulling the dedicated server from the data center and just hosting it on my home Internet connection, but the best throughput I can get is 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. 10Mbps upload for a site hosting as many files as this one does just wouldn't work. My connection would be maxed out.

Those are the two reasons I am considering selling the domain.

The main problem is the cost. If I can't afford it, then it wouldn't matter if fix it. If I can afford it, then I'd continue to spend the time fixing the site and getting it operational again.

As it stands, I haven't paid for the cPanel/WHM license since May. That's $45 per month for that. The co-location hosting for the server is $50 a month and it's, for now, current. Though I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to have the funds to pay for it. Unless some works heads my way in the next week or two, this may be the last month I can pay it.

dotted

Post by dotted »

Hey, I'm the owner of a Dungeon Keeper fan forum called "Keeper Klan" that I've been running for the past almost 11 years, and I'll be more than happy to take over hosting and development duties of UT files.

While I probably can't offer too much in cash for it, at least nothing that will help in this COVID-19 world, I can offer to ensure the continued survival of the site at no cost to you.
Discord: dotted#0001

i_hate_saturdays

Post by i_hate_saturdays »

Hey there Skillz i know it's been nearly a decade since i was on these forums but I was wondering have you found any potential buyers for ut-files.com?

{OCS}PaPa-D

Post by {OCS}PaPa-D »

Any takers or news, @Skillz?

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Just people who want it for nothing or want me to send them all the files.

dotted

Post by dotted »

As the owner of a similar site to yours, the reality unfortunately is that sites such as this just aren't worth that much monetarily.

But it seems like your intention was not to keep the site alive, only to sell the domain name itself for the buyer to do something else with it than continue to run the community as it is. If that was your intention then I rescind my offer, as I only want to do with UT Files as I have done for Keeper Klan I have 0 interest in the domain name itself, I only have an interest in not letting a community die purely because of financial issues.

So I will gladly help preserve UT Files, but I will not participate in its demise.
Discord: dotted#0001