Planet MH Operation Na Pali server (Closed)

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

So how is the server running? I really haven't checked it very often.

I also uploaded a bunch of other SP map sets. No idea how to put them in a "rotation" though, other than using the portal map but that just seems crappy to resort to a map such as that.

I really wish there was some kind of mutator that when the end of the ONP map was triggered, it would be able to load a different map in a different set/series. Same thing for the end of the other maps.
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

Skillz you badly need an admin or two. The maps have serious problems that hang play in several spots if certain conditions are met. An admin can nextmap through them if that happens. Otherwise people get bored, think the server is bad and leave with a bad taste in their mouth.

Short of adding some sort of mapvote (which will cause only the good maps to be played) you are stuck with editing the maps so they run in sequence. Personally I'd get a team together that knows the maps, run through them in sequence, fix the shit that's wrong, and run a full-on unique team-based server. I've looked at the maps and I haven't found one that couldn't use an update or fix. Most were designed as single player and at the least need multiple playerstarts and extra weapon pickups. Someone needs to make a "Finished" map too because it just cycles back to the beginning with no indication really that you completed the quest.

Anyhow, just my thoughts. I'm probably in the minority but I like to deal directly with things.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

Anyone remember the Dogs of War server? I made a mutator back then that replaced the teleporters at the end of maps with a trigger that merely ended the match. This allowed for mapvote to be used. I still have that mutator, so I could modify it to load another mod after NP35 is finished.

I'm not sure I'd want mapvote on this server though, I've been loving the old ONP style. I wouldn't want to break up the order. (Atleast give ONP so more time. We could always add in mapvote later on.)

Postal, about the maps: the things you described were how most co-op maps are. It isn't like MH at all, it is about cooperation and ammo conservation. Players that have been playing for a few maps should have their own ammo already filled up since it all carries from one map to the next. Single playerstarts aren't bad at all, telefrags are prevented somehow. ;)

I do agree about having an ending map. I have ran the Credits map online before and it doesn't have very many issues online other than not ever ending.

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

I don't want mapvote.

Could you make the mutator load another map after NP35?

I'm not sure how many other "series" I have on the server atm.

I have the

UTLNP series
UTIllhaven series
theelder series
tashara series
strange series
st serites
sky series
shrak series
attacked series

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

Yeah, I think I could do that. I'll look into it.

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Actually, I wonder if it will be possible to just make the "end" maps of each series trigger something that will cause UT to just load the next map in a maplist.

So the mutator will have a list of all the maps that end the series, and the map list will have all the maps of the beginning of a series.

This way, when the end of one map is reached, the mutator will trigger an end, then ut will just load the next map in the map list, which will be the beginning of another series. Repeat

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

How about editing the endmap of each series to go to a unique map we could make? In this map you could congratulate the players on finishing the series then have an open room with the different quests screenshots and maybe a brief description and teleporters set up to choose. Each of the teleporters would begin the quest on map one of that series, with a loopback to the "vote" map at the end of each series. You could even set up mapvote to load that one single Quest Choice map at any point so players could switch out which series they are playing and try something new. Shit now you got me all excited about seeing those other packs you put in :noes:
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Because if you edit one map, you'll have to edit them all. :nono:

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

I know of a map that would be perfect for this. It was used on Unreal co-op servers to replace the default ending. It was a hub that had portals going to different maps. This could get modified to include each of the different mappacks. I'll see if I can find it.

I could have the mutator update the teleporters to link to this hub map. So you would run through one mod, and the end of the last map will send you to the hub where you could pick which mappack to play next.

EDIT: I found the map, check it out here: http://rex.psk-slv.com/down/GatewayCoop.unr
It is simply a default Unreal map that was modified for co-op.

Flatus

Post by Flatus »

Ah yes, I do remember some time ago where this one map was made so a player who finished a series ends up at this map, which has like portals to pick & lead to another series & so on & so on. I still have it on my system & is called CoopPortal.unr

P.S.-I'll have to test that out to be sure though, since it's been a while.
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/flatus][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/flatus.png[/img][/url]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/Flatus/Flatus_CanadianBanner.png[/img]
[url=http://www.gametracker.com/flatus/][img]http://www.gametracker.com/profile/flatus/b_460x42_C000000-222222-333333-CCCCCC-FFCC00-FFCC00.png[/img][/url]