Planet MH Operation Na Pali server (Closed)

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

Too much trouble for that. Just appoint a couple of admins. Mostly the people who play that are adult anyway. I've only had one time where a guy kept teamshooting me.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

I'm working on a little mutator designed to fix and improve some things in ONP co-op. Here are the server settings that I've thought of so far:

TeamKill protection: Protects Followers from damage caused by players.
Follower protection: Protects players from damage caused by Followers. (Only happens if a player jumps in the way.)

Weapon respawn: Sets all placed weapons to bWeaponStay. This is to fix the dissapearing DispersionPistol at the start of NP32Strogg.

Toxinsuit respawn: On NP11Tonnberry, a ToxinSuit is NEEDED in order to complete the map. The problem is that they do NOT respawn. They added a second one in case someone wastes the first, but why not allow everyone to grab one?

NP34's falling playerstart: One playerstart in this map is supposed to let a player come riding in on the blimp. The problem is that sometimes, it somehow does not get deactived. With it enabled, players spawn at it and end up falling to their death. I'm going to make sure it is only used ONCE and never gets enabled again.

Movers: This issue has caused the server to get stuck once, so I do not want it to happen again. I will set every mover thats set to ReturnWhenEncroach over to IgnoreWhenEncroach. That way, it will ignore any players in it's way.

If anyone has any suggestions, please post them!

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Get Nexgen and ONP working together, then make those "mods" a plugin for Nexgen as well.
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

I got a couple of suggestions:

1. Just edit the maps up. You can fix the majority of these problems simply by going in and fixing up the map. Yeah, it's another download but it's going to be a lot easier than crafting a mod. I found that out while working on DeadCity. When a map is geared towards first person play, it behaves differently. Just make your edits, slipstream the maps in-line on the server and Bob's your uncle. I can think of several trouble spots that could use addressing.

2. Skillz I'd like to nominate Rex as an admin on the ONP server. He plays there quite a lot, is fair, and knows what he is doing. It wouldn't hurt to have someone be able to admin nextmap or remove the occasional unruly teamshooting player.

Nexgen won't work with ONP?
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

I'm not a fan of editing maps that aren't my own, and I've already got a few of those ideas working. (I had an old project similiar to this.) I'm sticking with the mutator idea; a lot of this has been easier than I had originally thought.

The biggest task would be fixing the "falling" playerstart on NP34. I think I have an idea of how to fix it, though.

I'm not so sure about Nexgen for ONP. Nexgen replaces HUDs with it's very own, but they all refer to HUDs as ChallengeHUDs. ONP's HUD is not even a child of the ChallengeHUD class, so I'm thinking it might actually require a custom version of Nexgen. I'm not sure if a simple plugin could fix this. Other issues could come up if Nexgen assumes that the GameType is a TournamentGame when in reality, it is an UnrealGame. I think we might have to give up on this idea, or ask Defrost to add in support for UnrealHUDs.

I'd love to be an admin on the ONP server. It doesn't need adminning a lot of the times, but sometimes, something comes up that a quick summoning or mapchange could fix.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

I agree with you about editing maps, but ONP needs some massaging to work well with a server and playerload. I'm not talking about profound changes, just clean things up. You'll end up writing a full mod that will only work with these few maps and that's kind of a waste of good coding. Your call though, I'm just looking at simplest.

If you decide to go that route and run through them, let me know and I'll clear a weekend to help you out any way I can.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

The problem with editing the ONP maps is if you edit one, you'll end up having to edit them all.

Since the maps use servertravel to end the maps, thus taking you to the next map in the set. If you edit that map, change it's name. Then you'll have to edit the map before that one, to change the path so it takes you to the edited map, then you'll have to do that to the map before that one, and the map before that one, etc...
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

Skillz is correct. Besides, I highly respect Team Vortex and I wouldn't want to be messing with their creations. (I think they all forgot about this game, though. :wtc: )

About the mutator, I'm making it as broad as I can. The only ONP-specific thing in it is the fixed PlayerStart on NP34. Everything else would work great on any co-op servers. I think I have it mostly all done, I'll update you once I do some more testing.

Does anyone have anything else that I should try to fix?

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

I'm only playing Devil's advocate here, I see both of your points and concede that your side is more valid than mine.

However I honestly think that there are few (if any) maps that wouldn't benefit from some upgrading. If you have to replace all the maps in sequence, big deal. It's a few extra seconds for the download at the speeds your server feeds. As popular as it has quickly become, some rapid improvements would surely benefit the server.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

Postal, you seem to be right about the fixes being mostly for ONP. I've been looking for stuff to fix, and a lot of them are map-specific. Thankfully, a lot of issues can still be fixed with a mutator. Map editing is the very last resort for me. Heres a list of stuff I still need to add into the mutator:

NP09Silver: Theres a lift that only activates once, which leaves people stuck if they do not get to the lift in time. This should be a simple fix of setting that mover's bTriggerOnceOnly to false.

NP14MClaneDrPest: Buggy playerstarts. These fail to work most of the time. This is bad because it is quite a run from the starting area over to where these playerstarts are. Along with a tough area where players have to dodge lasers. (Many players end up leaving thanks to this.)

NP08Hourences: The lifts work, you just have to trigger them too many times. This one isn't a bug, just something that annoys me. There are a few lifts at the start that are set to TriggerToggle, which means players have to hit the trigger to make the mover move. This just adds some unnesessary waiting for any players left behind. (Players have to hit the trigger once to call the mover back, and then again to ride it back up.)

All of these seem to be pretty simple to add in, I just didn't get to doing it yet. ;) I'll keep you guys posted on my progress. Any ONP players out there, feel free to add any suggestions.