Question on MH and weapon pickups

gopostal
BANNED

Question on MH and weapon pickups

Post by gopostal »

For all you mappers out there I have a question. I was working on fixing Crater earlier and try as I might I could not get the weapons to speed up the spawnrate of the set 30 seconds. The ammo did ok, it was just the weapons themselves.
So I tried subclassing them, still 30 seconds no matter what. Funny thing is if I add normal UT weapons, the respawn rate is totally adjustable. It's just the Unreal weapons that did that.

Now I know I am late to the party, but is this a known bug? I think what is happening is that the Unreal weapons are brought forward by the monster hunt mod and it is controlling the spawn rate for them, and ignoring any change in default properties. I'm interested if anyone else has seen this issue.

Thanks!!
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

TheDane

Post by TheDane »

the MH mod is a bi ..... bit strange. I guess you are right in your assumptions about it beeing controlled by the mod. I'm sure it's a bug in the mod because what would it benefit? only put strains on the evolution of the mod. I haven't tried messing with the old unreal weapons, in surely not uder the Mh mod, but i have an idea in my head how to "bypass" the control.

Say you want an old unreal weapons spawnrate changed, try make a subclass of the corresponding UT weapon and then copy over all the old unreal script and properties to that weapon? Then replace it in the map or by a weapon replacing mutator. You should then end up with an UT weapon with old unreal properties and looks. It shouls use the old unreals meshes and projectile classes as they are defined in the properties.

Dunno if it works and it's quite a lot to do just for a respawn rate :) But the way the ut engine is made it should work if the MH mod does not mess it up somehow.

Another explanation could be that the default weapons are not put in a map in the same way as a custom weapon, meaning that when you add a custom weapon to the map it gets saved with it's code in the map, but when you place a default weapon in the map it's just saved by name and then the server will read the code from it's own code inside BotPack or UnrealShare or whereever the code origins from? ... that would explain the behaviour also. So you can test that theory by recompiling BotPack or UnrealShare with a weapon that respawns in 1 second and then try a map you know it's in, if the weapon now spawns in 1 sec it's because the code is not stored inside the map but in the base code.

I'm not sure it made any sence hehe ?

lauren

Post by lauren »

Weapon pickup time cannot go faster because weapons do not count as a pickup, so your gonna have to make them into a pickup class if you want them to respawn earlier.

but if u tick the weapons stay box i think that will do the trick

www.1000mphstudios.co.cc/forum Ut devlopment team
www.laurensmapping.ut99.org Mapping and modding site

[url=http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1000mphstudiosbannerxw5.png][img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6030/1000mphstudiosbannerxw5.th.png[/img][/url]

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

To answer you both, I tried all that. :meh:

I subclassed the sniper into goposniper, recompiled it and added it in and got the same spawnrate problem. Nothing you change in the map will alter the weapons spawn speed. This leads me to think that the rate is being super'ed by MH. I know how to test it and I'll do that tonight. What I "think" is happening is that when you put a (I'll use the sniper rifle as an example) rifle in the map, when you run monster hunt it does a weapon replacement on it with it's own version, thereby nulling your placed weapon and any changes you made. Since it happens behind the scenes you don't see it. Even if you extend into your own class, the MH sniper is super so you will still be stuck.

I know this seems like a lot to work on for a simple spawn rate, but it's an easy fix and something to add in the mod if we ever get to a mod update.

OK found it:

Code: Select all

if ( Other.IsA('Weapon') )
	{
		if ( Other.IsA('TournamentWeapon') )
			return true;

if ( Other.IsA('UIWeapon') )
			return true;

if ( Other.IsA('Stinger'))
		{
			ReplaceWith(Other, "MonsterHunt.OLStinger");
			return false;
		}

if ( Other.IsA('Rifle'))
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "MonsterHunt.OLRifle" );
			Return false;
		}

if ( Other.IsA('Razorjack') )
		{
			ReplaceWith(Other, "MonsterHunt.OLRajorjack");
			Return false;
		}

if ( Other.IsA('Minigun'))
		{
			ReplaceWith( Other, "MonsterHunt.OLMinigun" );
			return false;
		}
It's the mod doing the replacing. Now I know how to fix it.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

99.9% of all servers use the "WeaponsStay" command when running the server, so weapons never have to "respawn" since they never go anywhere. :hsdunno:
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

TheDane

Post by TheDane »

then try a replacement mutator and run at as the very last mutator in your command line and serverpackages:

Code: Select all

if ( Other.IsA('MonsterHunt.OLRajorjack') ) 
      { 
         ReplaceWith(Other, "GoPostalWeaponPack.Rajorjack"); 
         Return false; 
      }

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

Skillz wrote:99.9% of all servers use the "WeaponsStay" command when running the server, so weapons never have to "respawn" since they never go anywhere. :hsdunno:
Is yours enabled? It's not working (in this matter) even if it is. What a weird, weird mutator MH is.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Yes "WeaponsStay" is enabled on the server. I've never really noticed it to be honest. The weapons disappear when you pick them up (not ones someone has dropped)
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

That's actually good. I know how to fix it.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]