Unreal Tournament and Multi/Dual core processors

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unreal Tournament and Multi/Dual core processors

Post by Skillz »

If you have problems with Unreal Tournament behaving strangely on newer systems, specifically ones with dual core processors then this should help fix that problem.

First, most newer CPUs have CPU throttling abilities. This means that if your CPU is 2.4Ghz, it might be operating at like 1.4Ghz when not in use, to save power. Then as soon as you do something that requires more power (Like open UT), it jumps up to 2.4Ghz. The fix for this is simple.

Solution
  • Adjust the shortcut in your startmenu with C:\UnrealTournament\System\UnrealTournament.exe -cpuspeed xxxx

Where xxxx is the speed in Mhz. So my 2.8Ghz Dual Core CPU is 2853 Mhz.

I suggest using CPU-Z if you are not sure just how fast your CPU is, using a value that as close as possible to the absolute MHz, the better. You may need to open Unreal Tournament, then minimize it; Then run CPUZ to get the max speed of your processor.

This second problem is with dual core CPUs. Basically there is some timing issues with Unreal Tournament and newer CPUs (dual core) and if you use AMD then you can download an easy fix.

Dual-Core Optimizer is a free utility from AMD that should help older games run better on dual core systems. You can download it here

I would also suggest getting the latest Unreal Tournament drivers. You can download the latest from this site here:
    http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

Dr.Flay

Re: Unreal Tournament and Multi/Dual core processors

Post by Dr.Flay »

The link to the optimiser no longer works, as AMD have a fairly dynamic site structure.

The current page for now is found at AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unreal Tournament and Multi/Dual core processors

Post by Skillz »

Thanks for the update.
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.