Mapping contest...?

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mapping contest...?

Post by Skillz »

What do you guys think would be a nice prize for winning a mapping contest? Discuss.
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

tuffpoo

Post by tuffpoo »

Big Screen TV or a Car sounds nice LOL

but for reals prolly a itunes gift card be nice who wouldn't map for free music?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/tuffpoo/Tuffypooy.jpg[/img]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

tuffpoo wrote:Big Screen TV or a Car sounds nice LOL

but for reals prolly a itunes gift card be nice who wouldn't map for free music?
Gift card for how much? $5? $10? $20?

Also who wouldn't want to spend 30/40 hours making a map and win a big screen tv or a car....hell, I'd learn to make a damn map if that was the case. :lol:

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

Skillz I'd buy a video card from like newegg or someone and allow the winner to pick their type (pci, agp) before I actually had it shipped. That way it would be customized to the winner. If you want to have a map contest, vid cards bring the mappers cause everyone wants an extra one. Same with RAM sticks.

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Video card does sound like a pretty good idea, kind of pricey though. Wonder if we can get enough people to through in a few bucks here and there to pay for it, then start up a TMH mapping contest; it needs more maps desperately.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

No, I meant I'd cover the card as long as there was a good enough turnout. If you don't make it worthwhile, no one would do it.

I would front the card from a retailer, pay for it ahead of time, and let the winner claim it by choosing their particular version. If you just buy a pci-e card it excludes the older AGP crowd from wanting to participate and vice-versa. Making it "interesting" like that though pretty much excludes us from judging anything. You'd have to find an impartial third party like mapraider to post the maps to and let a crowd judge them or something to that effect.

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

That was going to be my next question/discussion.

How to determine who wins. Be it have a few judges rate the maps and/or put up a timed poll and let the monster hunt community vote on which map they think should win.

I was also thinking of adding some more "stuff" to the prizes. Not just for first place, but second and third place as well. Maybe even something kind of small for all contestants, like a keychain thumb drive (one of the $10 ones) or something to that effect.

Also make it to where there is a minimal number of maps that are entered into the contest before a winner can be chosen. I mean, if only three maps are submitted then that'll be kind of crappy for the community.

Also, what price range video card are you thinking? There are many to choose from, all ranging in many different prices.

--=BliZz=--

Post by --=BliZz=-- »

well i would map for a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2 cause i already have a Nvidia Geforce 9600 so thats the only geforce i want for now or you can do it for a Gamers mouse or keyboard from Razer (http://www.razerzone.com/) or Fatal1ty (https://store.fatal1ty.com/Default.aspx)
www.blizz.planetmonsterhunt.com for my maps and other stuff
http://www.1000mphstudios.co.cc/forum UT Development Team
[img]http://www2.razerzone.com/tag-generator/label_images/1217000321_1718011156.jpg[/img]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

I highly doubt a $400+ dollar video card was on his mind when he said "video card". Maybe at the most $150, but I was thinking something more along the lines of a $100 - $150 card; but that's all his call.

edit
I will never endorse that fatal1ty crap. A razer might be possible though.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

I'd be happy to go to, say a couple hundred. A vid card is not absolute either. It could be anything.

Tell you what, I really like that idea of the thumb drive too. Everyone who enters getting something would be a super idea. I have seen the 4GB thumbs for like $15 at WallyWorld. Who couldn't use an extra DVD worth of thumb storage?