Monster Hunt: A Multi-Part Guide [Part 1: Weapons]

Was this guide helpful to you?

Total votes: 0

TwilightAmbiance

Monster Hunt: A Multi-Part Guide [Part 1: Weapons]

Post by TwilightAmbiance »

Hey, everybody! I'm glad you all came upon this site like I did; Monster Hunt is definitely one of, if not THE most fun of the Unreal Tournament mods out there. This guide (which I am making up as I go along here) is meant to help you get to know the Monster Hunt universe, survive within it, and ultimately enjoy it. Within this multi-part guide you will find such topics as:

- Weapons
- Maps
- Monster Information
- Much more...

But before I begin, I'm making this guide under the assumption that each and every person reading this at least knows what Monster Hunt is and how to play it (since you came to this site, of course). I am also splitting this guide up into different posts as I make each part up. This post deals with the weaponry found in Monster Hunt. Well then, let's get started!

------------------------------------

The Weapons

Yes, the weapons. Knowing when and how to effectively use the weapons you have is crucial to staying alive in the game. Thankfully, the Monster Hunt mod is not a total revamping of Unreal Tournament, so all of the original weapons are still at your disposal:

- Chainsaw (This has replaced the Impact Hammer.)
- Enforcer
- GES BioRifle
- ASMD Shock Rifle
- Pulse Gun
- Ripper
- Minigun
- Flak Cannon
- Rocket Launcher
- Sniper Rifle
- Redeemer (A very rare find in most Monster Hunt maps.)

Of course, Monster Hunt is a mod, so these aren't the only weapons! There are countless others made by modders, but I am going to list some of the new weapons that seem to appear more frequently in MH maps:

- Impact Hammer (Yes, you can sometimes find the Impact Hammer in maps.)
- Stinger (Slow Minigun/Shotgun mix. Bullets are slow but damage is somewhat decent.)
- Eightball Gun (Another version of the Rocket Launcher. Nice damage.)
- Fourshot (Basically a shotgun. Lightning-fast rounds and good damage to boot.)
- Minigun (Different skin, slightly faster rounds than original.)
- GES BioRifle (Acts almost the same as original, but the secondary shot releases after a while, even if you try to keep it charged.)

Next, I'm going to go over when and where you should use your weapons. Please note that this is how I use my weapons; each person has their own way of going about killing stuff. Find what's comfortable for you over time.

Close-Range Combat

- Enforcer (Secondary fire does great damage up front. Make sure your aim is good, as the bullets spread wildly.)
- GES BioRifle (Great damage, but keep an eye out for splash damage.)
- ASMD Shock Rifle (Both primary and secondary shots are useful, but watch out for recoil damage on the secondary.)
- Pulse Gun (Secondary shot is meant for close-range combat. Use it.)
- Flak Cannon (Nothing screams close-range more than this.)
- Chainsaw (Use this only as a last resort. A well-placed secondary shot can land you a head shot, though.)

Long-Range Combat

- ASMD Shock Rifle (Once again, primary fire is your friend here.)
- Ripper (Head shots from a fairly safe distance away? Ammo that bounces off walls? A great weapon for sure.)
- Minigun (I actually use this more for long-range rather than short-range. Primary fire has pretty good accuracy, which allows good damage from a distance.)
- Rocket Launcher (Can be a little iffy with the more rockets you launch at a time, but primary fire will do the trick for you.)
- Sniper Rifle (The long-range relative of the Flak Cannon. Safely shoot almost anything from a great distance!)

Group Killing

- GES BioRifle (The secondary shot does wonders. Charge the gun up, unleash upon a group of monsters, and watch the slime fly.)
- ASMD Shock Rifle (Secondary shot not that powerful, but does deal area-of-effect damage.)
- Minigun (Secondary shot again. Less accurate but more powerful, use it on a group of monsters for good damage.)
- Flak Cannon (The primary fire gives a decent spread shot, but the secondary fire is truly where it's at. Provides awesome damage and sends monsters recoiling back!)
- Rocket Launcher (This needs no explanation.)

Also, I have several tips regarding weaponry before I close this part up. Not only are your weapons harmful to monsters, but they can also turn on you if you don't take the proper precautions:

- Area-of-effect and ricochet damage: Be careful when using such weapons as the Flak Cannon, Rocket Launcher, ASMD Shock Rifle, or GES BioRifle. If a monster gets too close to you and you're just about ready to launch six rockets in its direction, prepare to become a bloody mess. The same logic applies to the GES BioRifle. You are almost guaranteed to lose a life if you let off a huge slime ball right next to a monster near you. Shoot from a distance. Flak cannon primary ammo can bounce off walls and hurt you. Its secondary fire also has shrapnel that can inflict damage. Use caution around close corridors.

- Building upon the previous tip, the Ripper is extremely dangerous! The last thing you need is to have your own razors coming back at you and slicing your head off. This CAN happen. Even if a razor doesn't hit your head, you are almost guaranteed to lose half of your life from one razor blade, so keep an eye on where you shoot. Be very careful in narrow rooms. Watch the angle of the walls from which you are shooting at.

- Now that you know the risks of the Ripper, put it to use! Have a bunch of enemies around the corner that you would rather not face directly? Use the Ripper to send your shots around the corner and into their faces (head shot!). The Flak Cannon (primary fire) and Rocket Launcher (secondary fire) will also do the trick.

- Every monster has a head! You can get a head shot on every monster in the game. Yes, even the squid. Find out where to shoot for a head shot (monsters like gasbags and squids have weird head positions) and go for it.

- With the ASMD Shock Rifle, you can shoot your secondary fire and then blow it up with your primary fire right in your enemy's face for good damage! Although I never use this method, I figured that someone could put this to use if they wanted to.

- The Redeemer: Huge damage, but also a huge blast radius. If you get caught in its blast, you will most likely lose a life. Keep a good distance from your shots and you'll be fine.

- Most monsters would love to get in your face and rip you apart. Sometimes you will find that you have many monsters crowded around you: that's bad. You need to get them away from you so you can move about. What better way to do that than using area-of-effect weapons? The Flak Cannon's secondary shot will send your enemies bouncing back, allowing you some room to maneuver. As with area-of-effect weapons, you are prone to getting damaged yourself if you are caught in your own blast. Be careful when making room with the GES BioRifle and Rocket Launcher. Give yourself some space (that is, if you have any).

- Not every map has the exact same weapons as the next one. Sometimes you'll find modded weapons on a map. I'm not going to go over every single modded weapon out there. You'll have to find out how to use those to the best of your abilities.

That's pretty much it for the weapons section. I plan on releasing the Monster Information section next when I have time. I hope this guide helped you out. Please, if you have any questions, comments, criticism, or anything that you feel should be added, tell me! I'm more than happy to add new information to this post. Happy hunting!

- TwilightAmbiance (Twilight in Monster Hunt online.)

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Nice guide, those "other" weapons you mentioned though are from the first Unreal game. The Eightball, stinger, etc...
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

TwilightAmbiance

Post by TwilightAmbiance »

Ah, thanks for the information! I have not played the original Unreal, so that's good to know. Glad you liked the guide! :D

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Hey Twilight, I am working on a Monster Hunt Manual and I would like to use this information in it. May I? You'll be given credit for all the work you do.
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

A_Terran_Pirate

Post by A_Terran_Pirate »

TwilightAmbiance wrote:Ah, thanks for the information! I have not played the original Unreal, so that's good to know. Glad you liked the guide! :D
BTW the weapon you mistakenly called the Fourshot is known as the Quadshot.
Pirate is my Dream,
Terran is my Team.

A_Terran_Pirate

Re: Monster Hunt: A Multi-Part Guide [Part 1: Weapons]

Post by A_Terran_Pirate »

TwilightAmbiance wrote:Hey, everybody! I'm glad you all came upon this site like I did; Monster Hunt is definitely one of, if not THE most fun of the Unreal Tournament mods out there. This guide (which I am making up as I go along here) is meant to help you get to know the Monster Hunt universe, survive within it, and ultimately enjoy it. Within this multi-part guide you will find such topics as:

- Weapons
- Maps
- Monster Information
- Much more...

But before I begin, I'm making this guide under the assumption that each and every person reading this at least knows what Monster Hunt is and how to play it (since you came to this site, of course). I am also splitting this guide up into different posts as I make each part up. This post deals with the weaponry found in Monster Hunt. Well then, let's get started!

The Weapons

Yes, the weapons. Knowing when and how to effectively use the weapons you have is crucial to staying alive in the game. Thankfully, the Monster Hunt mod is not a total revamping of Unreal Tournament, so all of the original weapons are still at your disposal:

- Chainsaw (This has replaced the Impact Hammer.)
- Enforcer
- GES BioRifle
- ASMD Shock Rifle
- Pulse Gun
- Ripper
- Minigun
- Flak Cannon
- Rocket Launcher
- Sniper Rifle
- Redeemer (A very rare find in most Monster Hunt maps.)

Of course, Monster Hunt is a mod, so these aren't the only weapons! There are countless others made by modders, but I am going to list some of the new weapons that seem to appear more frequently in MH maps:

- Impact Hammer (Yes, you can sometimes find the Impact Hammer in maps.)
- Stinger (Slow Minigun/Shotgun mix. Bullets are slow but damage is somewhat decent.)
- Eightball Gun (Another version of the Rocket Launcher. Nice damage.)
- Fourshot (Basically a shotgun. Lightning-fast rounds and good damage to boot.)
- Minigun (Different skin, slightly faster rounds than original.)
- GES BioRifle (Acts almost the same as original, but the secondary shot releases after a while, even if you try to keep it charged.)

Next, I'm going to go over when and where you should use your weapons. Please note that this is how I use my weapons; each person has their own way of going about killing stuff. Find what's comfortable for you over time.

Close-Range Combat

- Enforcer (Secondary fire does great damage up front. Make sure your aim is good, as the bullets spread wildly.)
- GES BioRifle (Great damage, but keep an eye out for splash damage.)
- ASMD Shock Rifle (Both primary and secondary shots are useful, but watch out for recoil damage on the secondary.)
- Pulse Gun (Secondary shot is meant for close-range combat. Use it.)
- Flak Cannon (Nothing screams close-range more than this.)
- Chainsaw (Use this only as a last resort. A well-placed secondary shot can land you a head shot, though.)

Long-Range Combat

- ASMD Shock Rifle (Once again, primary fire is your friend here.)
- Ripper (Head shots from a fairly safe distance away? Ammo that bounces off walls? A great weapon for sure.)
- Minigun (I actually use this more for long-range rather than short-range. Primary fire has pretty good accuracy, which allows good damage from a distance.)
- Rocket Launcher (Can be a little iffy with the more rockets you launch at a time, but primary fire will do the trick for you.)
- Sniper Rifle (The long-range relative of the Flak Cannon. Safely shoot almost anything from a great distance!)

Group Killing

- GES BioRifle (The secondary shot does wonders. Charge the gun up, unleash upon a group of monsters, and watch the slime fly.)
- ASMD Shock Rifle (Secondary shot not that powerful, but does deal area-of-effect damage.)
- Minigun (Secondary shot again. Less accurate but more powerful, use it on a group of monsters for good damage.)
- Flak Cannon (The primary fire gives a decent spread shot, but the secondary fire is truly where it's at. Provides awesome damage and sends monsters recoiling back!)
- Rocket Launcher (This needs no explanation.)

Also, I have several tips regarding weaponry before I close this part up. Not only are your weapons harmful to monsters, but they can also turn on you if you don't take the proper precautions:

- Area-of-effect and ricochet damage: Be careful when using such weapons as the Flak Cannon, Rocket Launcher, ASMD Shock Rifle, or GES BioRifle. If a monster gets too close to you and you're just about ready to launch six rockets in its direction, prepare to become a bloody mess. The same logic applies to the GES BioRifle. You are almost guaranteed to lose a life if you let off a huge slime ball right next to a monster near you. Shoot from a distance. Flak cannon primary ammo can bounce off walls and hurt you. Its secondary fire also has shrapnel that can inflict damage. Use caution around close corridors.

- Building upon the previous tip, the Ripper is extremely dangerous! The last thing you need is to have your own razors coming back at you and slicing your head off. This CAN happen. Even if a razor doesn't hit your head, you are almost guaranteed to lose half of your life from one razor blade, so keep an eye on where you shoot. Be very careful in narrow rooms. Watch the angle of the walls from which you are shooting at.

- Now that you know the risks of the Ripper, put it to use! Have a bunch of enemies around the corner that you would rather not face directly? Use the Ripper to send your shots around the corner and into their faces (head shot!). The Flak Cannon (primary fire) and Rocket Launcher (secondary fire) will also do the trick.

- Every monster has a head! You can get a head shot on every monster in the game. Yes, even the squid. Find out where to shoot for a head shot (monsters like gasbags and squids have weird head positions) and go for it.

- With the ASMD Shock Rifle, you can shoot your secondary fire and then blow it up with your primary fire right in your enemy's face for good damage! Although I never use this method, I figured that someone could put this to use if they wanted to.

- The Redeemer: Huge damage, but also a huge blast radius. If you get caught in its blast, you will most likely lose a life. Keep a good distance from your shots and you'll be fine.

- Most monsters would love to get in your face and rip you apart. Sometimes you will find that you have many monsters crowded around you: that's bad. You need to get them away from you so you can move about. What better way to do that than using area-of-effect weapons? The Flak Cannon's secondary shot will send your enemies bouncing back, allowing you some room to maneuver. As with area-of-effect weapons, you are prone to getting damaged yourself if you are caught in your own blast. Be careful when making room with the GES BioRifle and Rocket Launcher. Give yourself some space (that is, if you have any).

- Not every map has the exact same weapons as the next one. Sometimes you'll find modded weapons on a map. I'm not going to go over every single modded weapon out there. You'll have to find out how to use those to the best of your abilities.

That's pretty much it for the weapons section. I plan on releasing the Monster Information section next when I have time. I hope this guide helped you out. Please, if you have any questions, comments, criticism, or anything that you feel should be added, tell me! I'm more than happy to add new information to this post. Happy hunting!

- TwilightAmbiance (Twilight in Monster Hunt online.)
These are the So called "Other Weapons" you forgot:

-Dispersion Pistol(Also the Powerup)
-Automag
-ASMD
-Flak Cannon(Unreal-era)
-Razorjack
-Rifle
-Enhanced Shockrifle(Found as Secrets in Most maps)
-Combat Assault Rifle(From Unreal RTNP only found on MH-IceSkaarjPrologue)
-Grenade Launcher(Also From RTNP once again only found on MH-IceSkaarjPrologue)
-Rocket Laucher(Unreal RTNP RL not UT RL, Also on MH-IceSkaarjPrologue)
-Combat Assault Rifle v2.0(Tweaked From the version Above, From the Xidia Gold/NaPali Heaven Redux Single player mods)
-
Pirate is my Dream,
Terran is my Team.

tinytox

Post by tinytox »

Thanks, =] im going to go play monster hunt now ^^

comoestas

Post by comoestas »

great guide! many thanks

Taxshop

Post by Taxshop »

Nice one, useful to brush up my rusty knowledge :)