fake bots?

Feralidragon

Re: fake bots?

Post by Feralidragon »

@War_Master: LMAO
I never saw any player doing that, but that's something I wouldn't mind seeing just for the laughs.

@Laambo: I was actually thinking to make a mod like that for last year April's Fools day lol (but with support for actual conversation, the bot would eventually troll the players and even cheat a bit lol, but I never made it)

@Others: Actually rankings DO care, it's really not a matter of opinion if it comes down to TRUE and trustfull "public servers", it's pretty much a fact.
For instance the most popular server atm from all the UT servers is |uK| Siege server, it's pretty much full all the nights and it was in 1st place in gametracker for a loooong time, atm is in 2nd as the server got some heavy problems (lag and packet loss, seems fixed now), and the one server in 1st is the usual TO server which is not even UT.
So, if you use gametracker to check where true people are playing, people are most likelly to play in the top ones boosting even more their popularity.

So, at least in that site, having a good rank means that you have a good and populated server, otherwise you better think in some "fair" ways to boost its popularity (like mods and maps development, new ideias, get people playing there, etc), unless you're not interested to get more people into your server and you're happy with it as it is.

Just my 2 cents

MEAT

Post by MEAT »

War_Master wrote:It is funny when total noobs start talking to the bots even when they dont have a ping. And its even funnier when the noobs get mad at the bots because they dont answer back so they go off badmouthing the bots or switching to their team to team kill them :lol:
What is even funnier is the map DM-titania][...where the bot "Mr. Titan" has ping and also talks back to the real players.
I've seen some players actually talk back and answer Mr. Titan...lol

Granted all bots are fake (not real people) but it's the misconception that they represent at the hands of deceitful server admins.

And as for rankings well they actually do mean a lot...it's a true representation of what servers are being played.
Populated mean popular.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Fake bots can be one of the strategy to increase a so called server rank.

Other one is with fake real players ? Yea you read well, they open UT, connect to server and then go in town to drink a beer. Is nobody at computer. Is just a camper player making other player to leave because cannot change map alone due to map-move settings.
In this case is used antiboost to not be boosted by normal player. Anti-camper of course not exists.

Anyway this interest to put up a rank at Gametracker sometimes is funny developing dumb ideeas. This engine is not really meant for camping like this and can crash server. Anyway each admin is doing what he want (is his server). People finally are realising what kind of server is that X and Y and will go to other one less ranked but correctly done. By example when I want to play some UT, I contact a random server I'm not looking for a ranked server because I simply don't care about ranks.

evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Skillz wrote:To make it seem like you're playing real humans. Most people wont play against the bots, especially on an online game since there is no competition really. You're just beating the AI, you can do that off line.
I dunno about that. I've noted, from various chats in forums, most people don't actually enhance their bots settings. They increase the game level of difficulty but leave all their bots the same. I, on the other hand, enhanced the actual bots themselves by tuning each of their profiles individually:

Some of my bots are scary skilled, killing you without you knowing where they are. Others couldn't hit you with the rocket launcher if they were standing right in front of you.

You can set ut99's skill level to the lowest setting or the highest, the bots individual skill levels never change.

When I host games, I've usually got 1 or 2 running around in there somewhere. Granted, I'm not pretending they're not bots. I am equal opportunity bot supporter.

Equal rights for bots!

DLD-RABBIT

Post by DLD-RABBIT »

I just hope they do not become self aware.....Especially with one of Hook's Redeemers. :blue:

Hook

Post by Hook »

Nelsona wrote:Fake bots can be one of the strategy to increase a so called server rank.

Other one is with fake real players ? Yea you read well, they open UT, connect to server and then go in town to drink a beer. Is nobody at computer. Is just a camper player making other player to leave because cannot change map alone due to map-move settings.
In this case is used antiboost to not be boosted by normal player. Anti-camper of course not exists.

Anyway this interest to put up a rank at Gametracker sometimes is funny developing dumb ideeas. This engine is not really meant for camping like this and can crash server. Anyway each admin is doing what he want (is his server). People finally are realising what kind of server is that X and Y and will go to other one less ranked but correctly done. By example when I want to play some UT, I contact a random server I'm not looking for a ranked server because I simply don't care about ranks.
Yes - AMEN to that Nelsona!!! :boink:

Oh, and yeah, rank on GT does mean that more players are playing, (popular?) the higher the rank, but that is not necessarily mean that they are the best servers, just the most played - and that can mean the most spammed also. (cough MEAT and MRS cough)
I have played on little known servers that have small amounts of players that are simply fantastic servers.
I know of several of these great servers that are not so highly known or as "popular" on the GT rankings, but some are better (IMO) than a lot of the higher GT ranked servers. :boink:

Oh yes, I am very against the use of fake players!!! :nono: (fake bots are OK though, as bots ARE fake anyway) :boink:
One way that some servers do it I see, (cough MEAT and MRS cough), is to have some of their loyal players just sit in the server (cough MRS cough) for hours on end and that boosts there rank on GT - YUK! :nono:
But it doesn't boost their rank in MY book!

Oh yeah LOL we do have that map on our server, DM-titania][, where the bot "Mr. Titan" talks, etc., as MEAT mentioned above. - Funny - it makes me laugh sometimes. :boink:

DLD-RABBIT wrote:I just hope they do not become self aware.....Especially with one of Hook's Redeemers. :blue:
LOL :noes: :naughty:
Well, I specially tweak our bots on our server, like what EvilGrins does with his bots, but even more specialized for Redeemer use.
And I don't mean just the skill level - in fact, as EvilGrins says, the skill level doesn't have a lot to do with it after the individual tweaking.
I actually did a lot of research finding out optimal settings for the bots that worked best with Redeemer arena.
Our bots will in most cases protect themselves, - this is a big problem with redeemer arena and ordinary un-redeemer-tweaked bots.
Our bots seem very real - and yep, I get players getting angry at our bots because they do not answer them. LOL :meh:
So yeah, as DLD-RABBIT says, watch out! :naughty:
Last edited by Hook on Tue May 07, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 8 times in total.
= Hook = Member# 5
SITE / FORUMS: http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net
UT99 PRO-Redeemer Server - CROSSBONES MISSILE MADNESS {CMM}
PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemer | + FOOD FIGHT w/Fry Pan Arena
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Tweaked or not tweaked a bot fighting will keep his behavior based on weapon instructions too. Weapon can sugest a defense or an attack depending on instance. Anyway if weapon has a good A.I. code then hang on, dudes. Combining this with higher skill will result in all noobs players leaving server in maximum 3 minutes. He, he,...

evilgrins

Post by evilgrins »

Nelsona wrote:Tweaked or not tweaked a bot fighting will keep his behavior based on weapon instructions too. Weapon can sugest a defense or an attack depending on instance. Anyway if weapon has a good A.I. code then hang on, dudes. Combining this with higher skill will result in all noobs players leaving server in maximum 3 minutes. He, he,...
I'd like to think players looking for a challenge won't go running away cuz some bot gave them a boo boo.
DLD-RABBIT wrote:I just hope they do not become self aware.....Especially with one of Hook's Redeemers. :blue:
Personally I'd like to find a way to get them to do my taxes.

MEAT

Post by MEAT »

Speaking of bots (fillers)...they really shouldn't exist.
But being that UT has been on the decline for the last few years some servers have no choice.
Regardless, if you're going to house bots at least make them active/aggressive.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

And Btw, replying to a previous section. I don't know the behavior or Mr. Titan in DM-s but I know very well how is acting in MH. You can see a ping (In game), Mr. Titan is talking bullshits randomly, but I didn't see it as a player in browser servers TAB (because is not Human ?). I'm not so worried about him. And because is not visible at players section be sure about won't increase the rank of the server. Assuming it could do this, can be an ideea for some people to put the map at serverstart and to make server to crash often :lol: .