MH-ReturnToTristram (Diablo)

X920MikeyB

MH-ReturnToTristram (Diablo)

Post by X920MikeyB »

Okay! I couldn't hold back anymore, I HAVE TO DO IT! No matter what it takes.

A while back in my young mapping days I spent a while remaking a little tiny wanabe tristram with a small dungeon, a few mobs (Mainly diff sized brutes with melle attack only) even added a butcher room for kicks.

This was way before I knew about Monster Hunt.

However, I've decided to take this further and make it for Monster Hunt... However, this will be a very close replica to the real diablo (Basing it on Diablo 1) Old schools definitely better! :)

Storyline:-

Many Years in the future, we relive the story and life of Tristram. Based in the year 2077. A few rogue explorers stumbled upon the long lost town of Tristram. - Many have heard the legendary stories of the brave warriors that fought there many years ago. But no one, has ever found the long lost town since.

You we're exploring the forbidden planet of Murgah moments ago when you stumbled after a minor quake. You looked down to find the ground opening up before your very eyes. You tried to run but you tripped and fell... Deep into the deep core of the planet. That was it for you... The end of everything you've lived for.... Until..

POOF! You suddenly appeared asif out of no where, as if you traveled through to another dimension... However... It is the Town of Tristram that your great ancestors have spoken about for many years!

It still remains the same, as if from another world or dimension. With the old styled buildings, torch lit rooms and the old run down church.

As you look around you and realise there is no escape, the town is blocked in by cliffs upon cliffs. There's a few wierd towns folk wandering around, maybe they might be of some help?

Just then you hear the tormented screams of the trapped souls. Followed by the Demon himself... Diablo. The stories and legends you we're told about have become your reality. You are now in the shoes of your great ancestors. Once again, there to save the town of Tristram from an unimaginable end. - Hopefully then, you'll find a way out of here.

Good Look Brave Hero... You'll Need It!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is definitely a project I am willing to dedicate alot of time and work too. I've spent a while even working out a custom town portal system. And shrines and other stuff.

Prior to that, and to current I am mapping out "Square for Square" the town of tristram. Based off diablo 1. The dungeons will also be of a very similar look and feel. With some of the famous bosses including King Leoric, and the Butcher.

Not the mention, the Archbishop Lazarus, and Diablo Himself!

Ill keep you all updated with info, and screenshots when possible.

Going to take quite a while mapping the town alone. Then the dungeons.

Will probably make 2 medium sized dungeon levels per theme.

* Normal dungeons
* Catacombs
* Caves
* Hell

There will be random shrines that will trigger random events, anything from hidden and special weaponary, to health / armours pickups. To traps, monsters and Town Portals!

Links from town, such as the catacombs, cave and crack in the floor (hell) will also be accessable.

This WILL be the ultimate diablo map.

However if I can't do 8 levels due to lagg, size and other such barriers. I will do either 2 smaller levels for each one... Or 1 medium - large level for each section (4 levels in total)

Post any ideas and things you'd like to see here. And whos looking forward to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HELP NEEDED!

I need help with some of the following.

Firstly. I have the background music files. And im sure I got a way of converting them to .UMX *Ut music files*

However, I need the other sounds like the voices of the townsfolks, the monster sounds and other such. If someone could tell me where / how to get these or how to extract them from the game it will be a great help!

Any help with matching textures to the real game too (Diablo 1) not 2... etc...

*** Diablo style camera ***

I know its possbile, but not 100% sure how to do it myself. As I've seen a mod for UT that gives the zoomed out old "GTA" style view.

I want a mod / mutator or something that I can affix to the MAP itself, which wont affect any other games/maps.

That will give me a diablo style camera look that will follow the player.

This I think would make the level alot more fun. Something maybe I could add to an extended version of the map.

Well, I think thats it. Time to get cracking with map.

Look forward to reading the replies.

P.S. I started this map about 2-3 days ago. So it's in very early development. It might take some time so don't hold your breath. However I'll complete it ASAP.

I'm gonna work hard on making this a very enjoyable and playable map. - Pretty much an exact replica of Diablo 1 itself.

Have Fun!
The one and only... X920MikeyB

X920MikeyB

Screenshots

Post by X920MikeyB »

No Comments?! Come on... I need some hype here! :]

It took me 6-7 hours yesterday! To do the "Start" house. The one you start outside of when you first start your diablo game. (Diablo 1)...

Because of the detail and messing with various things.

Due to some gfx glitches I had to restart the whole map. The Path's are all added (water is a solid for now, intersected into 1 brush) then the rest of the land is deintersected around it. The water will be deleted out and added as a water soon.

The map's also been downsized by half. As 128 x 128 x 128 was too big for 1 square. It's now the same size, just with a 0.5 brush.

Again I'm not 100% sure what causes these gfx glitches. Someone said it being anything with a brush size below 8 or multiples of 8. But with the ability to intersect, drag points and other such things. It's hard to tell. Also you can create thinner things sometimes without glitches.

So I'm saving alot of versions of the map so if I do come across a bug when testing, I delete parts until it fixes it. Then find another solution around it.

After 2-3 gfx glitches. Finally done the start house. Which consists of a pretty much EXACT replica of the one on diablo. I'll upload a few screenies here in a moment.

Added after 1 hours 25 minutes:

Original Screenshot from the game. - Of the start house.

Screenshot of MY HOUSE! In unreal-Ed. It's alot more complex than it looks. Hence the bottom right wireframe. - Seriously this took me 6-7 hours to do. Because everythings aligned perfectly no glitches etc that I can see. Done a fair bit of thorough testing aswell.

Feedback? :wiggle:

monstersbeware!

Post by monstersbeware! »

nice lookin house there i wish i could learn though how to make such brushes that bend to certain angles to make impressive buildings or ships :meh: as well as how to create complex movers instead of a single brush 1
One down a million left....:monstersbeware!
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/sy2qhh.jpg[/img]

Creavion

Post by Creavion »

monstersbeware! wrote:as well as how to create complex movers instead of a single brush 1
A little hint... you can (de)intersect brushes ...

@topic starter: Something useful for you I think...
Dont resize them, just convert them to bmp, you can even use the sh1tty paint for that... (256 colours, not 24 bit)

X920MikeyB

Post by X920MikeyB »

monstersbeware! wrote:nice lookin house there i wish i could learn though how to make such brushes that bend to certain angles to make impressive buildings or ships :meh: as well as how to create complex movers instead of a single brush 1
Well... You can drag the points on certain brushes by Holding Alt - Right click a point to snap ur + to it. Then holding Alt, press and hold the left mouse button. Until your crosshair disapears then drag. Your point should drag. Use the 3 views (top, side, front) views to adjust it into the place you want it.

My "Triangular" roofs are squares... The 2 sides are now 1 side on the bottom (Dont close a face off completely, hence making it disapear... UTed crashed when I did that)...

You have things like "Intersect" (Basically makes anything and everything inside that brush that's added into 1 brush to make things easier.

De-Intersect. Will do the opposite and select the subtracted (Empty space).

For a complex mover make the mover using add/subtracts. Remember to intersect/deintersect parts so u don't get solids/negatives and other such overlapping. This I found causes bugs for me. So making sure everything is slotted together like a jigsaw is best.

Once the movers created. Make a cube... But in the properties the scaling must be 1.0 x 1.0 x 1.0 else ull get collision issues.

U can drag the points to best fit it, then "Intersect" now whatever textures / brushes etc are in that are now into 1 brush. If you add that as a mover (Ensure all the dimensions are 1.0 so use the actual cube build / drag points to resize it. Then you'll be able 2 convert the lot into 1 complex mover.

You can also use several movers like a 4 mover door for instance. Make the door first then intersect each part and add as a mover and so so...

- Regarding them textures, how do they look in the game? - See i've found mixing textures from here and there u get some "Real" looking ones mixed with "game" ones and then "Not so good looking ones" and the level looks patchy.

I might give them a look later on after the levels built. Alot of the textures are gona be custom recolours from pre-existing ones anyway.

Already done the barrel / tree's. - Need to do the bricks (wall) and also some others like the roof, door etc.

monstersbeware!

rofl wow didn't know it'd be that easy!

X920MikeyB

Post by X920MikeyB »

monstersbeware! wrote:rofl wow didn't know it'd be that easy!
Yeah kinda is but becareful. I'm getting alot of graphic glitches randomly here and there with different things I do =\

Any idea what causes this?

monstersbeware!

bsp errors certain brushes that are subs will stay solid so u can't run thru em thats 1 another is what i call the paint error it's when part of the map is empty and shows the void.

X920MikeyB

Post by X920MikeyB »

monstersbeware! wrote:bsp errors certain brushes that are subs will stay solid so u can't run thru em thats 1 another is what i call the paint error it's when part of the map is empty and shows the void.
Yeah I think i know why =\ its cause im modifying brushes by draging the points.

Looks like im gonna have to rotate and intersect instead =[

Putting the diablo map on hold for a bit, working on another map "HellsGate". Wont be as complex or big. So it'll help me get my head around the editor a bit better and see whats causing bugs and such.

Hence making the diablo map to a higher quality =] hopefully :P

Red_Fist

Post by Red_Fist »

You don't want the vertex editor to drag a vertex farther than the other two dots, it will crash.

Kind of think of makeing brushes in a sloping pattern, like an up side down bowl.Like independant of itself per vertex in a sloping pattern.

I read to make your brush with "tesslelated" (look right in the brush size box and check the box).Then those can be manipulated better for vertex editing.

don't overlap subtract brushes, even if you use intersect, you will see the brush lines in the editor, but will be no wall or blocking in the map.
subtracting a subtract, and don't subtract from a semi solid, then think you can just delete the subtract.
you would need to make a new semi solid, or leave the orignal subtract brush intact.

don't have addbrushes outside of the maps subtracted area.
Don't mix the green with the pink brushes, never touch.
Hey man.