MH-SP-Antalius released!

Creavion

MH-SP-Antalius released!

Post by Creavion »

"Ancient Antalius" (Location: The jungle of the lost world of Na Pali)
Two playable versions: Monsterhunt and Single Player.

DL: http://www.filefront.com/15065457/MH-SP-Antalius.zip/
Screenshot: click here
Whats that: Actually I wanted to release that map only as Monsterhunt map, because it is pretty short but then I thought it could not hurt to release also a sp version.
The map was tested by 2 persons to avoid - if possible - most frustrating gameplay lacks. (sp version)
Through the lack of non-existing translator events or other typicial elements which gives a sp map some atmosphere, I do not count that sp as a real sp. Like my full sp will have.. one day?! this map also offers fully S3TC support (although it can not keep up with the quality you know from DieHard), everything tested (I hope it), download links available in the readme (under the following directory:

\help\MH-SP-Antalius\). MH version was tested as well by Shade (UT99 site admin). Hope you`ll enjoy it.

Edit 2: In the meantime the owner (Turboman) of "insekt.u" has updated his package. Now it works with D3D.
DL here: http://www.mediafire.com/?tznttddw0rk
Nevertheless, D3D8 or D3D9 Driver DL Page:
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/
Last edited by Francis [Bot] on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

H꣣Fï®è

Post by H꣣Fï®è »

Is the ''monsterhunt'' version for servers?
If so, people who use D3D won't be able to join, only OpenGL or Software rendering.
The error message said something like it had to many textures or stuff around that wasn't able to load for D3D...
[img]http://i52.tinypic.com/2qx1e9y.jpg[/img]

Creavion

Post by Creavion »

What? Thats a normal MH map.
S3TC .. if you mean this, is optional. The S3TC texture pack (not included into the zip, but dl links are in the readme) is mostly intended for clients.
I tested it myself. I joined over a second UT installation my own "server". Server had normal texture package while "client" had S3TC. No problems.
So don`t worry. S3TC is really only for those who want to use it. If you do not like it, dont use it. Simple, isnt it?^^

Edit: Otherwise I do not know what you mean. I doubt that the engine has a "texture" limit.
And for real testing I only use D3D9.

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon »

Maybe the normal D3D can't handle larger textures in this map (due to mipmaps), but like Creavion said, D3D9 is the way to go (or OpenGL), and S3TC is purelly optional (it would just look better).

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

Yep, this map is unplayable using D3D8, which is what I use.

I took the map for a spin in singleplayer and the ol encountered oversized texture with inefficient mipmaps error popped up.

H꣣Fï®è

Post by H꣣Fï®è »

And for people who do use D3D and don't know what's is the issue when joining or how to change it to OpenGL etc, its pretty annoying.
[img]http://i52.tinypic.com/2qx1e9y.jpg[/img]

Creavion

Post by Creavion »

There seems to be an issue with "insekt.u" (Scripted Pawn). At least this was reported me. And this pawn was made by turboman. I hope he will and can fix that package.

BTW: With Direct X 8 I can NOT agree, I ghosted through the map, worked fine but on the default Direct 3D Render of UT.. yes the map crashes already during the window with the map and gametype selection.
Are you really sure you did REALLY tried D3D8 or D3D9?
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

To the other issues I can not say anything atm.

War_Master

Post by War_Master »

There is a texture or more somewhere in the map or packages that exceed the maximum mipmap (256x256) for the default d3d renderer. Any texture that is not bigger than 256x256 that are for Screenshots, HUD, Scope, don't need to be mipmapped but the rest do. As for myself I only use the default d3d renderer because it is the only one that works and looks correctly while the custom ogl, d3d9, etc lag awful and look too bright with the specs that the game was designed for. Those custom renderers make the map look too bright and the meshes too dark and does not look even, besides the lag they cause when playing online.

Also, I saw some packages for the Spinner and Dino and were another version then the ones that already exist adding up yet more packages to download. The amount of packages for that map is very large and I know for a fact players dont like downloading or installing too many packages, so how about just using the ones that people already have to prevent extra downloads in order to keep the map download friendly?

Another thing, the plants you used in the map are very high poly and totally decreases performance. I noticed to placed too many of those plants in close areas making the game very laggy to a point you can't see what's attacking you because the slow performance prevents your camera from moving at a normal speed when you turn. My FPS in most areas in that map was 15 and the total FPS was 25 in a PC thats 4 times faster then the minimum requirements for the game.

I wanted to install this map in a server but by seeing how bad it was and the large amount of packages specially the 24MB size package for the plants which is way bigger then the map itself, I decided it wasnt worth it at all. Sorry if you take this the wrong way but you sure need a lot of fixes in that map if you want people to use it and be happy with it

Creavion

Post by Creavion »

Sorry, but I do not use default D3D, because the perfomance sucks a lot. I can't help it.

@Packages: Yearh I know, I wanted to use a lot of different animals for the map.
And normally I am not a mapper of "keep custom package amount low". I use what I want to use. The engine has the limitation on its own. If somebody has a problem with that he should not play my map(s).
@Plants: The map is actually and primary designed for my single player project. The MH version was some kind of extra. Most of testers did not have a problem with the amount of plants, since a jungle should be thight.
I admit there is an open area (the 4th terrain) which has really really not an optimal perfomance. It could be really better there. Otherwise I did not have that many perfo problems for myself.
and the total FPS was 25 in a PC thats 4 times faster then the minimum requirements for the game.
This does not mean anything, todays PCs have their problems with older games, it is sadly normal to have perfo issues with a much better pc and older games. And if you really use D3D, than it is normal as well, like I said. I do not use D3D of UT, since the perfo is really bad at all. Without D3D8/9 I could not play UT at all.

@Server: No I am not angry. Why should I? If you do not want to install it, you do not have to do it. You should not feel forced to do that. Far from it, I can understand you. There are tons of other MH maps to play.

Either my next MH will have something to do with an industrial building or I will not make an other MH at all, since it was unlike the sp version not very successful.

BTW: First post updated.

War_Master

Post by War_Master »

This does not mean anything, todays PCs have their problems with older games, it is sadly normal to have perfo issues with a much better pc and older games. And if you really use D3D, than it is normal as well, like I said. I do not use D3D of UT, since the perfo is really bad at all. Without D3D8/9 I could not play UT at all.
My PC is from the same year the game was released with DirectX7.0, 8.0. 9.0c, Win98, GeForce3. and the rest of the specs the game was designed for. Meaning that my PC runs UT smoother than anyone elses and specially for the default d3d because when you upgrade the OS you lose some dll files from directx that the game needs. Every other single map I've played runs silky smooth with very high fps. The excuse has nothing to do with modern PCs because mine aint lol, so there's no excuse about this badly edited map.

From what I read of what the Epic guys said, UT was mostly designed for d3d so they can take advantage of that renderer and its performance where they said it was better than ogl. When I switched to d3d from ogl it really proved it because that ogl was never finished and looked very dark and crappy since they didnt care of it much. Most of those custom renderers were made for ATI cards which is why they make your game look hella bright then it should and I have not found one that works like it should and dont really need it because d3d works correctly for me. Now, why would I or anyone else go on switching to a renderer that plays like crap just to play a map when the problem is on the map itself?

It is not hard to understand that this game has a limit and a requirement and abusing those will make some conflicts of course. Any mapper or modder that knows his stuff will make a good playable map with anything a player uses. Even tho the map doesn't look too bad and the idea was general, I would have really liked to see less packages that do not exceed the map's size itself and used the content that had been released already instead of the same stuff with different name.