View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Counter Monster Hunt 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Counter Monster Hunt
Alright guys,

This is going to be a new gametype for Monster Hunt. Hopefully we can gather the resources to make this successful.

I got the idea from MCoop and UTMHCoop, though I am still testing these two mutators out.

Basic objective of this mutator will be to allow humans to play as the monsters, in Monster Hunt levels. Obviously you'll need at least one human player to play. It will be just like normal Monster Hunt, only humans can choose to play as the Monsters if they want to be.

More details obviously need to be worked out, just wanted to get a basic outline started on the game, then we can work on the design document.

So guys, lets post up some ideas for this.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

-Players play as monsters already in maps.
    -Uses the MH maps, no alternations needed to maps
    -Players who play as monsters, use monster weapons
    -When a player who is a monster dies, they are respawned to a monster nearest a human player
    -Monsters have unlimited ammo
    -Monsters who are controlled by humans, move at same speed as monster

When you join, have a box popup similar to mapvote/asc that will ask you which side you want to be on.

Last edited by Skillz on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

One thing I just thought about. Need to prevent the "humans" from being able to reconnect to the server after they've used up all there lives. Make it to where when they reconnect, they keep the same number of lives they had before they left. This would be to prevent the lamers from reconnecting to the server, so they can complete the level. Otherwise, the only way the monster players will be able to win is by holding them off until the time limit is up.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:08 pm
Profile WWW

What 'hunters' will he player-monsters be fighting off? just bots appearing as hunters or is there a mix of the two, sort of liek teams?

Maybe something nice to add would be a good credits system, not to buy any new equipment or anything, but so the player can choose what monster to be.
An example would be if all the player-mosters start off as a fairly weak monster (e.g gasbag, pupae etc.) Then with all the chaos, I'm guessing either just damaging the player, or just preventing things from happenening then the 'player' will get so many points. With these points the player will be able to be in possession on greater monsters. So somone could 'spend' or 'achieve' the rights to become a skaaj, then a titan, and so forth.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:54 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

It will be the exact same as Monster Hunt, only you'll have the choice as playing as monsters in the level or playing the humans.

If you are a monster, then you'll need to kill the humans. It will be your objective to prevent them from escaping. You'll spawn as a monster closest to the humans, when they kill you, you will just respawn nearest to them again, until you kill them or they complete the level.

If you are a human, then you'll play the game like you normally would. Just killing the monsters, trying to get to the end. The only difference is the monsters you'll be killing will be real people playing as those monsters, not the AI.

So basically it will be like a teamgame. One side will be the human-monsters and one side will be the human-humans. Unless you have bots in the match, then all "humans" will be "humans-humans" but the monsters can be human-monsters or monster-monsters, depending on how many players are playing on either side.

----
What you are saying will require a new map to be made, then again it would be implemented into "Deathmatch" levels where you don't really have to complete the level, just power up to defeat the other guy. Maybe an alternative to Monster Arena?

Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

Hate to be the bad news bear here but it won't work as you want.

Playercontrollers control the player and MH by it's nature allows only a one-sided playercontroller (think TEAM). What you want requires at least two teams. What the mod is doing is assigning the monster class'es playercontroller to your player when you elect to spawn as a monster BUT the MH single team concept is still valid. There's no way around this, unless maybe it would work in TMH. Honestly I don't know cause I have never pulled code on TMH.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like you didn't think about TMH until after you wrote all that. I mean, I doubt this will be easy; except to me. I'm not programming it.

Since TMH has two teams, both vs monsters why can't it be two teams human-human,human-bot vs human-monster,monster-monster? Sounds like it can be doable. :hsdunno:

Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

Yeah I really didn't think of it. I'll need to decompile TMH and take a look. I'm wondering if new maps will have to be made for it too. Blizz can probably fill in some blanks here for me but this is the short version:

Playerstarts spawn player playercontrollers. Only a playerstart can do this.

Creature factories spawn the monsters. Now you can place spawners all around but they are all tied to a CF somewhere. This CF spawns the monster playercontroller.

Now when you play coop, you aren't really a "monster" per se. You are still a player but your class has been reassigned to mimic the class declaration of the monster you have chosen. In short you assume all powers, appearance, abilities, etc of the monster but your playercontroller remains a player. Think of it like wearing an awesome halloween outfit. Underneath you are still a person. Same thing here.

AFAIK it's not going to be possible to have teams like you want, nor be able to assume an in-game monster on the fly, as the core controller is wrong. Even if you could destroy the controller and respawn it as a true player you still couldn't spawn yourself from a CF slot. If you watch closely and you know your maps, you'll see that although you are monster you'll still start at a true playerstart.

Man I hate to rain on your parade about this. I'd guess this sort of thing has been tried several times before as it would make some great maps. The lack of a working mod for it tells me it must be very hard or impossible to do. It would be so cool if you could make it work. Think of the maps you could make....You are kidnapped and a mad scientist makes you into a brute and you have to escape the lab as a brute. You could have chambers that randomly reassign you as any number of monster. There are all kinds of stuff this could do. Damn.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:03 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am pretty sure you are thinking too far into this, but you're the only one with (I think) the programming knowledge to make it happen.

Not sure of the terminology, but I am sure it's very possible to make it to where there are two "teams" in a MH level, similar to that of DM and TDM. Where one side takes the human pawns and the other side takes the monster pawns. Everything is already there, you just have to give the human the controls for the monsters, controls that I have already seen and used, so I know that's there too.

I know it's possible, anything is possible. It's just if you have the programming experience to make it happen.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:12 am
Profile WWW
BANNED

Yeah we ran into this very problem in invasion. The difference there is that pathnodes can assume playerstart capabilities so it fixes the problem of no place to spawn.

The way around this I would see is to remap the existing stuff to include some extra playerstarts, assign them to teams like in CTF and you are golden.

Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next