More Weapons

General Monster Hunt talk
Nelsona

Re: More Weapons

Post by Nelsona »

I used Stuffswrapper and I removed. Maybe I don't know well to use it but I observed is ruining weapons from maps. If you don't define any weapon for use he will remove all, that's happened for me, also ruined HUD from UTJMH403UU.
I preffered to put a Weaponloader mutator for random load a weapon at spawn or respawn from a list (ini) and keep weapons from map unaltered.

Do not forget, MonsterHunt2v3 can give you all weapons from UT. Also you can put his function in your own mutator for better results if you don't like MonsterHunt2v3 (I don't like it, :P, only HUD is a good point but mutator is ruining A.I.).

Also if you need a weapon loader mutator (random load a weapon) I can give you a link to download my NsWeaponLoader mutator, a modified version of GustWeaponsLoader (I put weapons to load for bots not only for players, when they die I can colect their weapons :) ).

I recommend to everybody to pay attention at weapons (strange weapons). Explanation: Some weapons can ruin a client game, a trigger (forceMover is a kind of cure, useless in 3 4 keypoints of a mover), even can ruin A.I. I saw many errors in console about some meshes missing in some weapons, such errors never happened in default weapons. In fact I like default weapons, I can play a lot of craps with defaults, I'm not affraid of monsters (players from DM are definitely more skilled than retarded monsters). I put WeaponLord with his big colection of weapons and I saw many missed craps meshes spamming the console, (of course I don't like these dumbs and I set Suppress=ScriptWarning in UnrealTournament.ini). Want powerfull weapons ? What for ? NukeMag ? WarNuker ? I want to fight with monsters not a weapon like - admin killall ScriptedPawn. I don't want to spam this forum with all errors known by me about weapons because I loved some weapons but were really messed up. BlackSharkLauncher - destroying Tentacles skin but didn't killed tentacles, NapalmRocketLauncher - burning movers and will be stucked in maps, clients crashed at Redeemer2k4 from UTJMH403UU, want to know about HyperClusterFlak what is doing with A.I. (CoopMonsters) ? I guess You Want To Play not restart game. Is only UT99.

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon »

^ Regarding "nuke-like" weapons, I think they're a good addition to MH, but of course, never as an easy weapon to get, but rather as a difficult one (only by a hard BT, or only 1 almost at the end of the map, or even by a simply timed randomizer that makes one of the players win the "lottery").
Of course, when I mean "nuke-like", I mean the ones which can only be fired once or twice at max (like a redeemer).

The problem of those accessed nones is that most "coders" (if we can call them that way) do not have any practise regarding "programming" itself, specially Object Oriented Programming, and one of the golden bases of any of that kind of programming is that you always have to validate memory references, always really.

Since people don't know that little detail, and other go by the "this is unlikelly to return none/null anyway...", scriptwarning occur always...

For instance, both in my jet, vehicles and weapons, those kind of errors are very very rare, if not inexistent (since I fully test the whole thing, even reconnect to make the Instigator of my own things return to None to check if there are further errors), as for me, reference validation is one of the most important aspects of coding:
- Avoids massive script warning logs;
- Makes your code actually work better and not to give unexpected results (because a null value can do some "damage" and generate bugs).

So yes, whoever does mods, should always consider to give a bit more effort to their mods and make them 100% errors free if possible.

Btw, even Epic's standard stuff gives that kind of logs, specially from pawns, Hud stuff and gametype stuff, as they didn't validate the whole thing fully, specially on bots (you can do a full match with default weapons, and script warnings are always generated during the games).

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Very true, scripts warning is very hard to remove from MH, I think the extended TDM - (base in MonsterHunt) has a strong fingerprint in our case. I wanted an usual scorekill in MonsterHunt but is still hard for me to fix it because reference is to Botpack.DeathMatchPlus scorekill accesed none. These accesed none resulting from killing pawns (scripted pawns). In DeathMatch killer belongs to a team (0, 1, 2) and killed belongs to other team, (enemy team); I can inform you that monsters belongs to no team, they are only like some wild dogs hunting everything included themselves when are instigated by hate. Killing other creatures than players will result in accesed none. Ok, but accesed none and other Mesh bla bla missing and other craps will do a lot of internal spam until game will crash. That is the reason for my advice to pay attention to any mutator or mod or any actor from a server to be good for minimize the chances to server crash. I'm thinking to suppress or remove forever some functions from DeathMatchPlus because they are bad for MH, I will not promise a succes but I still digging.
I meet the same problem when I make a modification of MonsterVsMonster attack stopping function, but I fixed that crap accesed none.

A long time ago I wanted to play a CTF with NaliWeaponsII if a remember correctly. I couldn't play more that 10 minutes because server crashed, that was not only once, my later attempts to such servers resulted in the same mod. Onestly, I will never use big packages (80 MB) only for a few minutes of play.

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon »

EDIT: Oh sh*t, long post... :\ Only noticed now...

Yes, monsters have big issues in UT, and is easilly understandable why:
- UT was began to be an addon pack called "BotPack", then suddently it was too damn good and prefered to make a seperated game which we know today as Unreal Tournament.
Many Unreal actors weren't taken off, they came in the whole package (they were already stressed out to release UT before or at the same time as Quake, if I am not mistaken), and the monsters are still the original Unreal ones, and never got patched during the UT years, since they were never meant to be used in standard UT anyway, thus the gametypes only being able to work good with "player pawns" (bots, players, etc).
However, whoever created MH, although it was a great idea, it wasn't done the best way and many easiily fixable bugs weren't fixed, simple as that, now we all struggle to make it work somehow the correct way, without break most of the maps in the process.

Regarding Nali Weapons 2, I released 2 official versions of them, and you tried most likelly only the first release. The first release was particularly laggy and had many many scripted warning errors, and the nukes could easilly lag the whole server or even crash it. However, in NW2X (Nali Weapons 2 X, which is now known worldwide, either by haters or by lovers of the pack), is incredible stable and hardly throws any error (people now fire the biggest nukes, and we already experimented doing it with many at the same time, and the servers hold them with no problems at all).
In NW2X I realized the importance of avoiding such errors, and I only started to code "for real" since then, and now I have a jet without any errors at all (after weeks and weeks of play, at least in CTF), a vehicle pack (yet in development), between other stuff still in development and released.

For instance, NW3 (Nali Weapons 3) is by far on a whole new level (lightyears ahead from NW2X for example), and doesn't have even a single trace of the several mistakes and bugs from NW2 (the build is being done totally differently from before), not only in quality, but in stability, performance, server flexibility, etc.
So from NW3 no one should expect even a single warning (although I can't guarantee it won't happen at 100%, of course), or the old annoying bugs and the ugly crosshairs, as I am doing it "the right way", or at least I like to think that way, and so far the pack has by far more features than any other weapon pack I have known for UT, yet it's way more stable and faster to run (since it's very optimized).
It has also something which NW2X lacked, and that it seems that you personally value the most: AI support. In NW3 they plant mines, shoot at your mines (theminer), seek on you (launcher), make combos (bolt), throw you against the wall (graviton), know how to use a certain weapon, and exactly when and in which situations (depending the distance, if you're in a water zone or not, etc) - it's quite frustating now since they can easilly own me with my own weapons now lol

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

This is awsome if you schooled A.I. to use other weapons type, this is a real challenge. This work deserve all Respect in the world if someone can make A.I. to do other bolshits than defaults.
But, for me is not an option huge packages, I made a redirect in my server because my files are some high quality, I can play a lot of craps but I have limited resources, other redirects for free use have many corrupted files. Other problem: redirection speed - according to different DNS and many servers, the chances for a player to get a far redirect is 50-50, I mean a slow download speed from game server is not a good option, I had many problems like this, my decision was to have my own redirect, the speed is a little faster than downloading from game and files are compressed - this offered a better result in visiting server, I checked latest logs. I do all I can for better results, also my favourite gametype Monster Hunt, I always wanted to be played in good quality, with full options both Local Game and/or Network Game (Internet).
Played Local with bots in maps with bot support is almost the same like in Network gaming.

My lates fixes in my mutator:
- no GRAB cheat - bots use this cheat, they were trained by EPIC
- no F5 skaarj view - even skaarjs spawned later in game by creature factory or thing factory - is ugly and I want to see my team not skaarjs
- no buggy quadshot - replaced with other quadshot (I love his boost, is the same class but not crap green cube)
- no monster vs monster fight - spam in server for nothing, even berserkers are more relaxed without changing agressivity against players or bots.
- no monster to monster damage - I hate a titan on a killing spree I want hunt them not hunt themselves
- no server halt when a cannon killed more monsters (that was a problem disaster for my brain) stopped damage to monsters - only a retard can think that a teamcannon will hunt monsters without an instigator or to be touched or wounded by monsters. This is happening rarely but when happens say bye to your server.

I recognize that I used some goodies from MonsterHunt2v3 but I wonder myself why Gopostal instigated monsters to hunt spectators ? Relaxed server ?
What is so relaxed when monsters will attempt to hunt a spectator ghost and kill each other without antiboost, I checked MH-Guardia for example, I finished map before begining, cannons killed Nali Boss and other cannons and scripted pawns killed themselves when attempted to hunt me as spectator (I'm not using antiboost - I LIKE BOOST), MonsterEnd used other trigger for working, MonsterWaypoint - LOL - game is ruined after first visit, I'm almost sure about something doubled - maybe MonsterHunt.u is ruined by MonsterHunt2v3.MonsterHunt - is another internal MonsterHunt conflicting with original, and many accesed nones in function preventdeath (a kind of MHPinata) - something is missing when the function is not accesed or incorrect accesed.
My decision was to recompile a mutator only, not a game-mod-mutator because I tried to make the same thing like MonsterHunt2v3 and results were the same (nasty).

I still testing to see what other fixes need to be donne.

Anyway if you can do good things for UT this is really a nice work, a better game based on his own functions I think can be a big succes.

medor
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by medor »

If you do a new MH can you add countryflags ?

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Doing another MonsterHunt will mismatch maps from current MonsterHunt if we talking about a better MH, will need to remap entire mod, current maps with high risk to not working. Countryflags exists as serveractor I mean not exactly countryflags is about iptocountry refering to countryflags. I don't understand, let me be informed correctly. Did you know all country flags to recognize a player location just after his country flag ? Because for me is some unusefull.
If you see any flag of any country you will know where is from that player ?
If you know, then you are some smart, but question: How many players know all countries flags ?
In my server for example exists an option about how to check your teammate:
TAB pressed then write: mutate iptocountry. Will see the answer in HUD. If you are interested about flag, check in Nexgen your teammates, will see the flag according to his/her country. Sometimes we can talk about other options but I'm affraid is not subject here. I described my fixations in a MUTATOR for current MonsterHunt included messed weapons like quadshot that was removed in MonsterHunt2v3 (replaced with an usual flakcannon, replacement is not my style).

If you are interested in collaboration for a new MH I'm agree to open a topic about that, but I warn you that I'm not a skilled coder, I just put my nose in codes to see why someone lied about fixes that not exists. I collected codes from 3 sources, I made a few tests, and I consider that I resolved my wishes.
Current MonsterHunt can be fixed, just need some attention from experienced coders, maybe a replacement of some triggers can do some good things for both A.I. (bots and monsters), and for players in future maps.

If you need to see countries you need to download it from http://www.ut-files.com/Admin/IpToCount ... ry-1.6.zip check documentation and install in your server because for me was a good option.

If you check the Web page given in my server's name you will see Downloads link. There I put 2 mutators NsRoMH and NsWeaponsLoader with instructions and I accept questions via e-mail if someone meet troubles about them. Also I can recompile a version customized for a MH server (I will help any person interested about a custom version for his server I mean the little Logo from top screen, even name of mutator can be replaced with your own), if you need the source code for your own tests I will add it in downloads section.

Option with countryflags I think will be temporary and will depend on another server. Each time when that server is down or in mentenance, or destroyed or etc., you will need to rebuild your mutator or game-mod because errors can occur.

Iptocountry has been updated many times, I don't think is an option to add it in a mutator. I think is a better option a standalone actor with no link to mutator. I let each actor or mutator with his own job.

medor
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by medor »

i just speak about scoreboard F1 and final scorboard.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

I understood about what you writed. Your wish was like in some DU Mutator. If I'm not wrong, after I studied that code, mutator was changed often because of some problems, it has a function or a link to IpTocountry or a self module for this, now I don't remember exactly. I think I can made a mutator like that but let me know where is the logic in this F1 or in scoreboard. Maybe I'm a little stupid but after my opinion a team game means a coop game not hunting a score or some freaky top, also flags at scoreboard explain me what interesting story tell you, because for me means nothing. I know in one second if a player enter in my server where is from. And flag ? I just wanted to fix Monster Hunt not stuffing it. I will study the options to add this function (do not expect to ask someone for some permissions because is not my style, I do what I want with my cache files), but I don't think I need it, I mean a new mutator, probably I will make it for you. If this is your option, let me think a few moments. Before start testing I will try to know what is for a mutator with flag. And if you suggest me a name for mutator, that will be the name, also in HUD you can have a customized logo 128 × 64 with 256 colors if you have trobles with making it, give me your ideea and I will try to make for you. Then you need to do some tests because some codes I don't know if they are good or not I will just recompile them with 0 errors and 0 warnings, more tests is your duty. Anyway I will test it in some strange maps to see how works.

Agree or not ?

medor
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by medor »

There is smartCTF smartUT assault140 and EUTsource for othrer gametypes.

The simplest would be MHIpToCountry