Monster Vs Monster

General Monster Hunt talk
Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Alucard wrote:Now that's nice, and I assume also a lot more performance friendly.. Is that the case?
Yea I could see the performance being a lot less if monsters don't fight other monsters.

For the fact that sometimes when you first start some MH maps, you'll see the monsters already fighting one another which requires some kind of resource. Like bots playing against bots.
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

I got bored last night and did ATAA both ways. I left it alone and then I did a full per-monster replacement with no-fighting ones. I put both maps on a test server and there was a very considerable decrease in lag. There are a few less odd error lines in the log but you can immediaely tell that something is improved. The monsters seem faster or crisper or something. They surely are more aggressive though. There's no beating that map now. You do this wholesale on some maps and they would change the complexity of them totally. Maps like LongHallway would become harder by orders of magnitude.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

On the test server, compare the CPU usage between using the regular and modified versions.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

I'll do that this evening. I'm interested in RAM usage too, should be considerably less.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

NinjaNali

Post by NinjaNali »

Does this function to monsters no matter what? It's justthat you said that maps like LongCorridor would become harder because the monsters are "more focused." But, if I'm thinking correctly, they shouldn't be "loosing" any focus anyway, because the rooms are filled with the same monster, which in turn, shouldn't cause any rivalries between them.

Or do they just concentrate harder because there's simply less code to run through? But even then, it sounds a little farfetched to me if all these monsters are constantly checking their surrounds for NPC enemys, even if they have pseudo-intelligence that non will ever come up.

I ain't read any of the code though, so I could be really far off, try to humor me though. :)
BANZAI!!!!!!

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

I don't think LongCorrido will be any harder either. Only maps with multiple monsters in the same area, that would otherwise start attacking each other will be harder.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

You'd think that but just yesterday I played long corridor and (for example) I was able to walk untouched nearly the entire length of the skaarj room because they were all grouped together fighting each other. I'll post a test map later tonight and you can judge for yourself.

@ninja: It's not so much "monster to monster" as "monster to scriptedpawn". And yes, trust me there are literal multitudes of checks done constantly by the engine. Most people have no idea how incredibly much is going on in the background. I know in UT2004 you can put "stat all" and it will give you a running commentary on a bunch of engine stuff as it is happening, though I'm not sure if that works in UT.

To give you an idea of whats going on, if a krall simply fires a weapon at you that action probably called close to fifty different assorted functions (big guess here, it may very well be more) just so you can see that one weapon shot. No imagine a room full of krall and toss in environmentals, gravity, bsp calculations, etc etc etc...The more I understand about OOP the more I am amazed at what is going on and how fast it is done.

Update: Here's a copy of Minas Tirith with the monsters all redone. There are no other changes except a script injection to stop the monsters from recognizing each other at all. You tell me if you can't tell they are WAY more aggressive:
Minas redo
And please, this is a testmap. Don't try to post it on a server. Let me do it right, this is a test map I made for myself.

Lastly, here is a screen i took off the server tonight. It's MH-City and I stood there while these two groups fought each other:

I thought like-species would never fight each other, but something is over-riding that. I'll look up the code and see whats up.

Added after 6 hours 49 minutes:

OK, Skillz we are both right. Here's why:

In this map the monster is a SkaarjInfantry. Now the entire script for that monster consists of a weapon change from SkaarjTrooper. I looked in Skaarj trooper and there is no friend/enemy code so I looked in Skaarj, the parent to this monster and here it is:

Code: Select all

function eAttitude AttitudeToCreature(Pawn Other)
{
    if ( Other.IsA('Skaarj') )
    {
        if ( Other.IsA('SkaarjBerserker') )
            return ATTITUDE_Ignore;
        else
            return ATTITUDE_Friendly;
    }
    else if ( Other.IsA('Pupae') )
    else if ( Other.IsA('Nali') )
        return ATTITUDE_Hate;
    else if ( Other.IsA('WarLord') || Other.IsA('Queen') )
    else
        return ATTITUDE_Ignore;
}
which says in short that a pupae, Skaarj, warlord or SkaarjBerserker are all buddies but that's all. That's why the SkaarjInfantry are fighting. They were subclassed without an addition to the buddy list :)
This is probably the same reason the gasbags and Skaarj fight in long corridor. As a further check I injected the NOFF code into them and it stopped the infighting immediately also.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

HornD

Post by HornD »

What is this for a Server on the picture? Can this Server good work withs Nexgen???

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

HornD wrote:What is this for a Server on the picture? Can this Server good work withs Nexgen???
Any server can run Nexgen aslong as they run the newest version. (Currently 1.09) The issue with MH is no more; gametypes with custom HUDs work fine now. :cool:

HornD

Post by HornD »

LOL, omg :noes:
I founds my Server have more lag withs Nexgen 1.09
I have make the ASC on the Server, now. but it go better or?

I make a new thread withs questions over the Nexgen and the ASC.