Custom monsters

General Monster Hunt talk
gopostal
BANNED

Custom monsters

Post by gopostal »

Today I finally got around to seeing how easily custom monsters can be extended in UT. I'm working on a flying robot and if you are interested in seeing it, get these two files:

Imp bot UMOD

This is the normal install for using it as a player skin.

impbot.u <-link updated to final version

This is the code that calls it in as a monster. Drop it into your system folder.

Open any MH map, select the actor tab then open impbot.u, now you should have a subclass of gasbag in pawns called impbot. Add it to the map like any other monster.

This will give you a flying robot that shoots fireballs and jolts you if it gets close. It's only about 60% done, as a lot of the code needs altered and fixed. I finished getting the attack functions to work but it still needs the sparks for the melee jolt and a sound to go with it. Really the rest is cosmetic, not engine related. I'm pretty stoked because this is not so very hard to do. A lot is different than 2K4 monster making but the core stuff is mostly done the same.

Things left to do:
Some animation tweaks, some sound imports, a few odds and ends in the code (speed up flying rate and shooting rate, etc). Maybe try to import the model so there is no additional download.

This monster is nowhere near ready for a map, but it *would* work if you put it in anyway. I'm hoping people will see this and attempt to whip up some other new monsters. If people are interested I'll outline the procedure and show how to make a simple monster.

Screenie:

Edit:
Updated the code now to include the zap sounds for the melee attack. Need to mix in some spark effects and then it will be time to tweak the robot to behave more like I want.
Last edited by luluthefirst on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Luke

Post by Luke »

Awesome, This looks great =D

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

The skin is flagged 2 which makes it a bit cartoonish, but I generally wait to the end to tweak textures. I'm really happy the monster controller transfers so well.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Alucard

Post by Alucard »

I see it's coming along pretty well, Thank you postal.
Can't wait to see the final product. I'm nearly done on the map to go with it..
[img]http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6645/seralsigep4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/263/3/e/Derideal_Fanstamp_by_Flammenwolf.jpg[/img]
Alucard supports [url=http://www.derideal.com]derideal[/url]

Link-Cybernetic

Post by Link-Cybernetic »

What have i missed ice custom monsters
I gotta say i am really impressped postal.
Link-Cybernetic

The Cyber UT player.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

OK, the monster is done. I fixed the hitbox, cleaned up the sounds and made it a bit more aggressive and tougher. You can tweak any settings by extending it again in your mylevel so feel free. The first post link is updated to the final (for now) version.

There are no limitations on this monster. You may alter, change, mock, or ridicule the work as you see fit. Here is the source package:
Source
Feel free to version this and do anything you'd like to it. I'm hoping you will as I'd like to see custom monsters made. I think it would bring some real life into MH maps. It's not that hard guys. It takes more time to do the audio than anything else.

As always if you want to rework the code, ping me and I'll help any way I can. I'd love to get this going. Trust me, the first time you join a server and you see your monsters, its a VERY proud moment for yourself. I've done a bunch for 2K4 and it's still a charge for me.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

Pretty cool monster. I'm always glad to see new monsters being created.

I've thought about making custom monsters, but I've only modified existing ones slightly. War Master & I have only done monsters designed for certain maps. (Bird in BirdBrained and attacking/shooting cows in InstructableCastle.) I suck at making models/textures, so I haven't really created anything new.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

The coding itself is really quite simple. In the impbot the only "extra" code is a couple of force to attack lines as a hack around the inability to call the correct attack animation. The rest is just honest to goodness replacement calls and importation of what sounds and movements you want to choose to use in what situation and a tweak of properties.

If you are interested, I'd outline the procedure for you. I'm not a modeller either, and frankly I suck bad at it, but if you run across a model, I can certainly "monsterize" it any way you'd like. By that I mean (and I know you understand this Rex, this is for the benefit of mappers who may not really get the concept of extension):

Say I've got this really cool dragon model. When I decide to monster it, the easiest way is to extend a monster already in the game. If I get code for say the krall and extend it, the dragon will walk around and shoot laser shot like things at me. If I extend warlord, the dragon will fly around and shoot fireballs at me, if I extend queen the dragon will not fly but will have shield and be able to teleport around while shooting fireballs. So you can see that choosing the proper monster to extend can drastically alter the behavior of the monster being made. And yes, you can write your own completely new monster, borrowing code from all those and making it do whatever you want, but thats a lesson for another day :)

Added after 11 hours 1 minutes:

My next "pet" project:

I have a load of Aliens soundbites from an alien map I was going to build. If I had time I'd build a whole MH map around this. Anyhow, I'll have her done around the weekend and she will be a boss monster. Someone sure could make a nice map with her, some alien skinned chrek and spinners <hint hint>
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

{MK4}HoTTieHoTHoT

Post by {MK4}HoTTieHoTHoT »

they look kl and awsome u should try to add them in the maps in the game. there kl lookin i lik them
[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/67iqe9.jpg[/img]

{MK4}HELL§N|PE®

Post by {MK4}HELL§N|PE® »

Make a zombie alien make the alien colour zombie colour and add it to dead city
Hell is unleashed.