What is your favorite map?

General Monster Hunt talk
Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

What is your favorite map?

Post by Skillz »

I'd have to say, hands down my favorite map is Andromeda Ancient. Specifically the TestV1 version, though the BETA13 version is also nice, I really like how you start on the side of the mountain and have to make your way to the room that has all the weapons and what not. Really nice touch, what I don't like though is the new BT area. Seems too "unrealistic" with the floating area. Kind of reminds me more of a twilight zone.

If the "room" theme of the TestV1 map was added to the BETA13 version (The BT section) I think it'll be much nicer, IMHO. They are still very nice maps, but I'd still have to say that TestV1 is the best one I like so far. :cool:

What I like best about this map, and I think other map makers should takes notes and that's the number of hidden areas built into the map. Such as the place to hop down to get the jumpboots. It's blended into the environment so well, yet it's so easy to get to. It encourages players to explore, which is something I think is equally important to monster hunt, as hunting monsters. I love being able to explore large levels, finding things like that. In fact, I spend more time exploring Andromeda Ancient, than I do actually playing it. :lol:

Lands of Napli is another map that ranks in my top maps. Really love the detail and attention in this map. Not many people know, but there are some secret passage ways in the map as well. I am sure there are other secrets in this map as well, I just haven't found them yet. As I haven't really played this map as much as it deserves.

I also like the Indiana Jones map, but it's just too short. However the few sections they threw in that's almost identical to the movie; the saw blades, tiles that fall, invisible floor, cup to drink the water from at the end, etc.. All very nice touches to the map. I just wish it was much longer.

Followed by The Great Escape maps, but only if you plan them in sequence starting with the first one. Really like how they tie into each other, one after the other. I think of think Andromeda Ancient Part1 will be similar in that aspect, but it's not completed yet, at least not to my knowledge.

So what is your favorite map and why?
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

Not to sound like a homer but I like Andromeda best also. It combines most of what makes MH fun into one experience. It's do-able with one person (barely) but still fun for a group. There's maybe a little more water and BT than I personally would like but overall the map has a good balance. Running the different version of that map with portal gun on my server has been a lot of fun as I have found a bunch of stuff too.

A VERY close second for me is LostInTime. I like the total immersion in the world, the completely different monsters, and the open-ended game play. It's got a lot of running though and I'd like to see some sort of teleporter system used to access different sections of the map, but that's a minor quabble. There's just something about hauling ass from a charging dinosaur that you have to love.

H꣣Fï®è

Post by H꣣Fï®è »

I like MH-Andromeda Ancient & MH-LostInTime :cool:
Info about Andromeda there is already and why I like LostInTime?
I like the Dinosaurs and the environment.
It's big and filled up with Dinosaurs, plants and bushes.
You can simply walk all over the place and have some fun.
It would be a great map for TeamMonsterHunt also :naughty:
[img]http://i52.tinypic.com/2qx1e9y.jpg[/img]

TwilightAmbiance

Post by TwilightAmbiance »

MH-Lemmings, totally. The map is pure teamwork, something that very few maps have. With a lot of cooperation and time to give to the map, it's very fun to play. :)

Flatus

Post by Flatus »

I tend to be bias a bit here & say all of those MH maps that were converted from AS maps (just cause I enjoyed & grew up playing Assault within UT).
Heck, even the Indiana Jones map was initially made into an AS map, but just didn't seem right for that gametype. I do though enjoy all 3 versions of it for MH that I have & if the server is enabled to have the hammer &/or the rockets to enable boosting, then going over the pit with the stepping stones are made even easier (could be by-passed to the right side, as the killzone is missing there). :naughty:
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/flatus][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/flatus.png[/img][/url]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/Flatus/Flatus_CanadianBanner.png[/img]
[url=http://www.gametracker.com/flatus/][img]http://www.gametracker.com/profile/flatus/b_460x42_C000000-222222-333333-CCCCCC-FFCC00-FFCC00.png[/img][/url]

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

I remember some really good times playing AS. If only we would have had voice back in the day....

BTW, talking about boosting, I've been using the portal gun on my server and it has worked out really well. I had concerns that players would portal cheat to access areas around the maps without working for them but gladly that's generally not the case. I get the occasional runner but by-and-large I get players exploring the hell out of maps with it. Might be something to consider adding to your servers.

I'll upload it into the files if you want to get it. I know it's solid and works well so don't worry about using it.

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

MH-Gekokujou: Decent AS to MH conversion.

MH-GlassCoop: Great map that requires teamwork. Map fails if people don't listen and work together, though.

MH-Krogaar: Great looking map with a lot of challenge and length.

MH-Rook(AS): AS to MH conversion done by me. (Not to be confused with MH-AS-Rook which spammed up the place.) My version spawns monsters preventing you from getting to the normal AS goals. Eliminating a group of monsters activated the next switch which you hit to continue on.

MH-Ruins-Bridge: Pretty good looking map with some challenge and length. Plenty of variety.

MH-Ruins-Stairs: Insanely hard, but fun map. Many will disagree about it being fun, but I love the challenge it brings. UTJMH is a MUST!

MH-SkyBlueFound: Relaxing SLV/RocketX map.

MH-SkyWars_RocketX: War Master fixes this map up quite a bit causing performance to increase greatly. A few glitches from the original were fixed along with editing a few monsters. Don't forget about the addiction of RocketX! (More servers need this version! War Master found that the original map had 2 copies of everything, which caused it to be glitchy. This version removed the duplicates.)

MH-Sunken: Simple map with a simple goal: destroy the monsters in the area and then move onto the boss. Not much story, but its fun to play.

MH-VAKA3: Fun map that seems normal... until the end.

Luke

Post by Luke »

Dead city 1... zombies dont stop coming, and the first cutscene glitches the player (Removed it, it's as MH-DeadCity_Fixed) on my server :)

Dead city 2/3 overpowers you all :P

Dead city 4 crashes all of my friends (Most of them use D3D, i use ogl.. yay open gl!)

Yay for deadcity!

¬.¬ my friend says there is an unofficial deadcity 5 and 6, but i can't see them ;P

Now, the pluses...

DeadCity2+ is awesome, it's fun because i like messing around in this map.
DeadCity3+ is awesome too, more zombies, no monsterend, most decorations outside removed (DAMN THEM EMITTERS! :D) So i don't lag on it anymore, i like this one :)

[WOLF]Panther

Post by [WOLF]Panther »

Luke wrote:Dead city 1... zombies dont stop coming, and the first cutscene glitches the player (Removed it, it's as MH-DeadCity_Fixed) on my server :)

Dead city 2/3 overpowers you all :P

Dead city 4 crashes all of my friends (Most of them use D3D, i use ogl.. yay open gl!)

Yay for deadcity!

¬.¬ my friend says there is an unofficial deadcity 5 and 6, but i can't see them ;P

Now, the pluses...

DeadCity2+ is awesome, it's fun because i like messing around in this map.
DeadCity3+ is awesome too, more zombies, no monsterend, most decorations outside removed (DAMN THEM EMITTERS! :D) So i don't lag on it anymore, i like this one :)
MH !SD0!Mansion map..
[img]http://i4.tinypic.com/61u1yy1.jpg[/img]

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

I thought of some more of my faves, there are just too many!

MH-CregorV2: Fun and simple run through a lava-filled cave with plenty of danger.

MH-curry_rise_v2: This map reminds me of good ol Unreal co-op. It clearly has plenty of monsters, but it is always fun.

MH-HellFire: If you can manage the size, HellFire is a lenghty level with plenty of difficulty.

MH-PoL1-Frigid: Spammy but fun ice-themed level with plenty of length. Jinpachi's best work yet.