Anyone playing MH alone?

General Monster Hunt talk
MEAT

Anyone playing MH alone?

Post by MEAT »

Hi everyone....I'm new to this forum and I run a Redeemer server and mostly play redeemer.
But occasionally I like to take my turn at killing a few monsters. However my problem is
I find it very frustrating and endless playing Monster Hunt alone.
You're one person playing against hundreds of monsters.
So I was wondering, is there a mod that takes the amount of people playing into consideration?
Maybe a mod that adjusts the amount of monsters to players?
Just a thought......

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

I have thought of such a mod, but I am pretty sure one doesn't exist.
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

NinjaNali

Post by NinjaNali »

Skillz wrote:I have thought of such a mod, but I am pretty sure one doesn't exist.
How would one be done though? If it just took out X% of monsters while Y players are in the game, then bossses or game required monsters could be excluded, unless you could do some sort of check on them (to make sure a particuar monster isn't going to trigger anything or such)
BANZAI!!!!!!

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

That I do not know. It would probably have to be incorporated into the map somehow, so the mapper(s) would need to build the map around the mutator/mod; I highly doubt it will be possible on the maps that are already made. :hsdunno:

Not a bad idea though, could really change the outcome of some levels. With more people meaning more and tougher monsters.

Something *MIGHT* be able to be coded to make the monsters weaker when less players are in the game and stronger the more players that join. :hsdunno:

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. You could make a mod that adjust percentages based on number of players to adjust monster total health.

Adjusting monster numbers is no do-able. Any sort of that would for sure crash the server. Monster count is a very important part of the MH code.

Another way might be to adjust weapon strength based on player count too.

MEAT

Post by MEAT »

gopostal wrote:Another way might be to adjust weapon strength based on player count too.
That sounds like it might work as well.

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

gopostal wrote:That's exactly what I was going to suggest. You could make a mod that adjust percentages based on number of players to adjust monster total health.

Adjusting monster numbers is no do-able. Any sort of that would for sure crash the server. Monster count is a very important part of the MH code.

Another way might be to adjust weapon strength based on player count too.
Yea that's not a bad idea. Making the weapons stronger when it's just a few players, then make them more "normal" when more players are on.

timmypowergamer

Post by timmypowergamer »

My team did something similar in the UT3 mod we just finished. We have players defending a base against waves of bots, but we found that it was way too difficult for a single player, and way too easy for any more than 4. I added a line to the games ModifyDamage function so that the damage done is scaled based on the number of players in game. I think the equation was something like:

Code: Select all

Damage = Damage/(0.25*NumPlayers);
We used 0.25 because our game was designed for about 4 players. So any less than 4 and you did more damage, and any more than 4 you did less damage. For MH, you could simply write a mutator that uses the MutatorTakeDamage function to modify the damage done.

So in the mutator it would look like:

Code: Select all

function MutatorTakeDamage(ActualDamage, Victim, InstigatedBy, HitLocation, Momentum, DamageType)
{
  super.MutatorTakeDamage(ActualDamage, Victim, InstigatedBy, HitLocation, Momentum, DamageType);

if(ScriptedPawn(Victim) != none)
    ActualDamage=ActualDamage/(0.25*Level.Game.NumPlayers);
}
Im a little rusty on my ut99 scripting, but that should be about right....
I know this should probably go in the coding board, so feel free to move it there Skillz.

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

I am just glad to see people posting, and the great Timmah has made an appearance! :bowdown:

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

I see what you mean but that actual code will greatly divide damage, even for 20 players.

An easier way would be to triple stock damage for one player, double for two, and leave alone for three or more. Simple yet elegant. Less calculations for the server load too.

Timmah if you ever want to get together to work on UT stuff let me know.

EDIT-OK scratch that. Triple damage is too much. I playtested and you just plow through. It's gonna have to be much lower.