MH server

General Monster Hunt talk
gopostal
BANNED

MH server

Post by gopostal »

Hey guys!
I am writing a couple of add-ons for monster hunt and I want to set up an off-site dedicated server for testing. Is there any special setup required to run a monster hunt server? I understand server admin (I've had several 2K4 servers) so I understand how to do things.

What I want to do is try to get rid of some of the bugs that are in MH. The netcode needs some work and there are weapon conflicts. Some extra hard limits need to be put in too, as many mappers ignore warnings about setting maps and monsters up in ways that can create crashes (like view distance that each monster has). The source license allows for development so I want to start compiling a custom version that addresses some of the issues present.

Anyhow is there anything I need to know to run MH? I'm not interested in 15 mods, as I will attempt to write them in myself as I develop this. All I want is a basic running install.

Thanks!!
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Nothing really special. Just set the startup line to MonsterHunt.MonsterHunt to load the MH game type. There is a brief tutorial in the tutorials forum.

If you need a dedicated server for testing purposes, Planetmonsterhunt.com will provide one for you that will need to be password protected, maybe 6 players or so?
Like this site? Consider a donation to help with server costs.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

Skillz I really appreciate your help. I'm up now and running, still got a few things to iron out but that's all part of it. I'd have to have access to FTP, webadmin and start/stop server if I used yours. Really I just needed to start one, so I bought one to use.

I'm very interested in addressing the problems that MH has. I think with a bit of work it could be greatly improved. What I am long-range wanting to do is fix some of the annoyances in MH and put together a package of admin tools. Most all the MH servers are set up to run MH only so a very specific toolkit for them would be handy.

For instance antiboost took me like 5 minutes to add and compile a new version. A great deal of the things mods are needed to do can be built into MH from open source scripts and "home cooking". I can tweak and compile and make changes but the netcode work requires a server, and perferably a dedicated one. I'd like to make small changes at a time, compile-test online and do a major version upgrade when it's the way I want it.

Is anyone around here into code that wants to work on this?
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

I will help where I can, but I'm not very good at UScript. I can manipulate some things, but nothing that will be able to help you.

As far as the server, I can set that up. You just need to know how to connect to a Linux server and run commands (easy) and you'll have a server setup for whatever you need. It'll be on the same server the current PMH server is hosted on.

When you are ready to go live with a major update, we can throw it on the PMH server as it gets traffic regularly. I am also sure we can gather up some beta testers on here too.

So my offer still stands if you wanna save a few $$$, I can offer a dedicated server for development purposes. :cool:

I was planning on doing something similar myself, though I never have had the time to really work on it (uscript is easy, i just have no experience with it) so it would have taken me a while. I wrote up some ideas I was wanting to implement with MH, mostly to help with the gameplay of it.

http://www.planetmonsterhunt.com/viewtopic.php?t=36

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

I greatly appreciate it! I'm set up though and after today I will begin work on this. If you don't mind I will probably ask you and yours questions as I go about direction. You actually answered this post already as I was going to ask you about what was needed from an admin side.

I am going to build regeneration of health and ammo in. It will be automatic enable to simplify things. It'll be configureable though so purist players can set it to zero and it won't add anything. I saw a flamethrower as the default weapon in a map at Herm's place. Making a weapon isn't very hard but finding a place to put it into the weapon lineup is. I can't tell you what's going to happen there as I think weapons have serious problems. I have tooled around in my brain with the idea of dumping the U1 weapons that were mixed in and see how that goes. They are mostly rehash anyway.

I'll keep you in the loop. In a bit I'll have a working beta with some changes implemented.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

TwilightAmbiance

Good luck!

Post by TwilightAmbiance »

I'm really interested in seeing what you do with making new weapons. Unreal weapons such as the Razorjack and Rifle aren't very useful and/or have problems with UT (such as the Rifle zooming in all the way when you don't want it to). The minigun, on the other hand, is still a favorite of mine to use.

Keep us posted! :)

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

Yeah I've already seen an error in the code for the 'jack. There is a call for "rajorjack" that makes a server error, although not a serious one. It's just a typo but that's the sort of thing that needs fixing.

Dude feel free to keep the ideas coming. I love to hear them. I haven't been playing long and it's nice to hear what much longer monster hunters think about direction.

Edit:
Let me ask you guys a server question. I'm running a normal MH server (rental) with mapvote LA13, UTJMH, val avatar, and portal gun. It will load and play but in the middle of a game after about 6-8 minutes it totally crashes out. It's not monster driven, I've sat still and watched it do the same thing, There are no errors in serverlog, it just abruptly ends, midword. Is there some sort of conflict with the monsterhunt ini and the ut ini concerning timeouts? I'm at a loss here.

2nd Edit:
I altered the bash startup file to load MH on server reset. Seems to have done the trick. I'm guessing all the MH resources weren't getting properly loaded (?). I dunno, but that seems to have it ok.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

I have noticed that MH is very sensitive. It crashes for no reason pretty often.

gopostal
BANNED

Post by gopostal »

Skillz, I don't want to seem forward but would you email me at agutgopostal@hotmail.com ? I would like to give you enough information about me that you would be comfortable sharing crash logs. I had hoped to gain an insight into crashing by running a server but my rented one dumps logs as soon as it crashes. I've tried different logging programs but it won't catch it completely like UCC does. My logs just end in the middle of words and it doesn't help me at all.

In that same vein, anyone who wants to send me a crash log, I'd appreciate looking at them. I don't need the whole thing, just the sections around the crashes, and maybe a note about what mods you run. (If you see loads of ACCESSED NONES don't worry about that. One or two of those will do) You can sanitize IP's if you want but I can assure you they go no farther than just me and I will delete them after I look at them.
[b]BANNED FOR LIFE[/b]

Skillz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Skillz »

Give me about a day (probably less) and I have about 80MB worth of logs that I will setup and send to you. I am willing to help in anyway possible to get this setup.

I have been running UT99 servers since around 2001, so I have a ton of experience running them. If you have any questions feel free to ask away, I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.

There are some things I'd like to talk with you about, to make MonsterHunt even better (not just game play wise) so when you get ready to start taking some suggestions, let me know.

Also if you need web space or hosting, I can setup a subdomain for you here at planetmonsterhunt.com (yourname.planetmonsterhunt.com) where you can setup/host whatever you need (no forums though)