MH-MeltTown Help Please!

General Monster Hunt talk
Nelsona

Re: MH-MeltTown Help Please!

Post by Nelsona »

Heh, I have small tricks to make a preliminary check in maps. Using a small app to work with files I look for *.unr to contain strings like: MonsterEnd - ServerTravel (in case of missing MonsterEnd - automatic map switching in game) - MonsterWaypoint.

Well, I had even some bad surprise. I found maps with MonsterWaypoints but 0 Bot Support. My english is bad indeed, but exist other dudes unable to read default MonsterHunt help writed by Shrimp (even if they speak english by default), was described enough clear. Eh, designing A.I. paths means default knowledge about A.I. pathing, exactly, not only so called Bot pathing because even some monsters can follow paths to reach at certain target ( somebody told to a player that a monster cannot follow Bot paths - I think was an expert who mapped only cubes in his life ).

Anyway, pathing correctly a map might deliver a different action. Player can be surrounded but this is not bad. He can attack in any direction :D. Laming with antiboost and a redeemer fired will destroy or blow away all enemies (yeah sadly to say - more outside UT laming stuff was designed last time).

In fact exist even other troubles related to A.I. when is about monsters. They can be in roaming but not forever. More roamers will spend a few time and later will wander. Also DamageAttitude chapter is other bad thing, but some troubles can be tweaked a bit.

I checked how works a huge map (20 MB) now is smaller (19.6 MB), I fixed bot support for me and Kira. What can I say ? Original ideeas :fawk: , MonsterWayPoint - Position 1 placed in a door - door was opened and pushed WayPoint away in wall. Next WayPoint - Position 1 as well. How many position 1 need a map to solve Bot Support ? Nobody ever heard about this ? Repeating Position will be worse, Bot doing nothing.
Lifts non-pathed - maybe Bot will do some Vodoo magic to travel them, right ?
About lift settings - 2% of mappers knows this or less (because a bunch of players awaked mappers in morning without to know what they doing and without to read tutorials). I'll bet I can make even a Skaarj to use lifts not only Bots (here we talk about real lift design, not assumed lifts). Other guy told a bullshit about teleporters: "Bots don't like teleporters..." - Better learn pathing, friend. Bots enjoy teleporters but Not some TeleporterFix any mutator :P. Collision bug ? Already solved (player won't collide other player).

Now I'm computing something. Hm in this map I tried to piss of 500-600 monsters to spy the CPU usage, hm, server not crashed, I died, they wandered and CPU suddenly decreased again at 2÷5% load. I think won't be a problem if 300 monsters might attack player, let me think a few time...

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Hey, Mr. Kaal. Last time I didn't noticed too much activity. Are you OK ? A new project ? Don't waste time with "pawns". MeltForest ? MeltFactory ?
Some kind of work could be welcomed for testing. Monster Support ? Bot Support ? :cool: .

Kaal979
Steals others work

Post by Kaal979 »

Im indeed having new ideas for testing.
For example did i find out that changing clippy weapons
disploay/LODBias property makes the look decent.
Now since this is the simplify mesh function i wonder
if it even works with decorations in skyboxes.
But im just having no external server to test it.
And besides im also planning on a tower of babylon style
lava pit with original hexen textures and wanna try implementing
darkmagic spell system and chaos melee weapons.
Is a thief.

Nelsona

Post by Nelsona »

Wait a minute, be carefull do not spam with sequences missing or Accesed nones because nobody wants this. Even last fix (my first attack to pawns) was to fix sequence "flopping" missing from mesh squid developing spam in console. Anyway I'm not expert with meshes and exporting but I found a way to change the original stupid mesh incomplete.

I think next period (maybe will be longer) is to fix so called old weapons with netcode skipping an anoying call UIWeapons, I'll subclass them direct as Tournament weaponry because was better anyway. Even in default matches calling some Skaarj they didn't throwed invisible craps or messing them.

Surprisingly, loading BOT with some "goodies" like UIweapons developed a bunch of RateSelf:Aceesed Nones, Heck, even some sequences from meshes are missing as well, dammit, I don't know when all these will end...