Thoughts on MH bots?

General Monster Hunt talk

Are bots dumb or not?

Total votes: 0

ganonmanz

Thoughts on MH bots?

Post by ganonmanz »

Anyone else think that they're nothing but a bunch of bricks? They almost never follow their objectives, they always shoot harmless cows (poor cows), and they think that the Stone Titan is a Big Keg O' Health.

Red_Fist

Post by Red_Fist »

I am making a map right now with 12 switches several lifts, they will complete the map all by themselves.

I am using monster way points in combination with blocked paths, and those damn bots will make it through a whole lotta stuff.

running-tested them on adept, but if you set the bots on godlike or a few less hard they get a bit smarter.
Hey man.

War_Master

Post by War_Master »

It all depends in the MonsterWayPoints which is what MH forces the bots to foolow as destinations. You also need Pathnodes to link the whole pathing for the bots to follow it and be able to find you on any part of the map.

Sadly, about 97% of MH maps don't have MonsterWayPoints and is why bots get stuck in the same spot if you order them the attack, they can only follow you and help you out when a monster attacks you if you're in their visible range. Another problem is that the bots weren't coded for co-op play against monsters making MH difficult to program with correct bot support. But anywho, who needs bot when the mod is mostly played by human players anyway, the bots just ruin the fun factor of the game because they ignore to completely kill the monsters so they can just touch a MonsterWayPoint and keep going to the next until they reach the end. Even so, they aren't that bad.

Red_Fist

Post by Red_Fist »

I noticed that, they need to be attacked to attack, and they walk right up in the monsters face and use the chainsaw.They will use the guns but I thought maybe was because I hadn't tried high skill levels.

how you doing War_Master, still mapping (codeing) ?
Hey man.

Blacklightning

Post by Blacklightning »

Arent they just idiotic on maps tht dont have bot pathing or w.e?

waffles

Even if scripted

Post by waffles »

The bots still attack innocent nalis and cows (even babycows!), cruel people...( or aliens, rofl)
Image Image

ganonmanz

Re: Even if scripted

Post by ganonmanz »

waffles wrote:The bots still attack innocent nalis and cows (even babycows!), cruel people...( or aliens, rofl)
They also shoot walls. (Poor Deadcity's walls got hit by a redeemer)

waffles

Re: Even if scripted

Post by waffles »

ganonmanz wrote:
waffles wrote:The bots still attack innocent nalis and cows (even babycows!), cruel people...( or aliens, rofl)
They also shoot walls. (Poor Deadcity's walls got hit by a redeemer)
Rofl, they shoot walls aswell now? ROFL
I don't want the Deadcity's houses ancient texture to be shattered... What kind of people attempt to pwn their own house?? (especially with them inside themselves...tactical suicide)
Image Image

Nelsona

Re: Thoughts on MH bots?

Post by Nelsona »

Hello, I'm not a mapper, but some messed maps made me curious, so I opened a map MH-Gauntlet where bots just stand in base if you are fast to atack monsters only 1 or 2 bots will follow you. I read some forums about mapping, and I used automatic pathnoding command from editor. Hehe, magic begins, no target for bots but they followed me until reached to last Warlord-boss and killed him in 5 minutes, because I modified properties of last teleport in blue base and put manually a pathnode behind last teleport. They teleported one by one, in a match even Ichtys telefragged Warlord and Game Over. Of course is a noisy game, because they screaming even when they aren't harm by a monster, problem was a skaarj. He atacked bots and they replied: I'm on your team, idiot. I think some mappers know that bug class. I killed that skaarj using a trick: drop an enforcer or a wick weapon for him and will become like an unsual monster, in other case when friendly fire is off and he has no weapon you cannot kill him as a normal player. Also checked a version of MH-BoomBoomBridge, bots helped me until DeadZone, if I run fast to Warlord they lost me and turned back on the bridge collecting items. I rebuild paths with the same procedure, other pathnodes network and bots succesfully removed last boss, Zenith told: That was nasty ! (he killed the Warlord-boss). So, why some people think they are stupid ? Guilty for anoying behavior is only the mapper. They are usefull in some maps, check bot support from MH-Kitarra, MH-LiandriInvasion, MH-Arden+fix, etc. They can finish maps without any human help. Why they know those maps and others not ? Beacause of mapper, end of story. A crap begins when an admin reedited a map and didn't renamed it, because will cause mismatch if a player had already that map in UT Game client (must delete it for download the new modified map).
I don't understand yet why monsters are more sensitive than bots, even more smart ? Hit a monster from a long range in a map without pathnodes and he will run directly to you (MH-MinasTirith). Bots just taunt (I'm hit) they can die without reply, in that map they are more blind than a 80 years old man.
I recognize that is difficult in Monster Hunt mod to create a map with bot support, but Shrimp himself suggested this. What about a MH Game with usual 100 hp and usual ammo (no other mutators). I think can be sometimes harder than BT. For that reason Shrimp's help for MH said: "put bot support (recommended)". A player in MH map with usual ammo and life, I think is hard to finish map too fast. Others smart guys programmed so called mutators for MH, for helping players. I suggest: Do not blame the bots beacause of mapper's mistakes.

ganonmanz

Re: Thoughts on MH bots?

Post by ganonmanz »

Nelsona wrote:Hello, I'm not a mapper, but some messed maps made me curious, so I opened a map MH-Gauntlet where bots just stand in base if you are fast to atack monsters only 1 or 2 bots will follow you. I read some forums about mapping, and I used automatic pathnoding command from editor. Hehe, magic begins, no target for bots but they followed me until reached to last Warlord-boss and killed him in 5 minutes, because I modified properties of last teleport in blue base and put manually a pathnode behind last teleport. They teleported one by one, in a match even Ichtys telefragged Warlord and Game Over. Of course is a noisy game, because they screaming even when they aren't harm by a monster, problem was a skaarj. He atacked bots and they replied: I'm on your team, idiot. I think some mappers know that bug class. I killed that skaarj using a trick: drop an enforcer or a wick weapon for him and will become like an unsual monster, in other case when friendly fire is off and he has no weapon you cannot kill him as a normal player. Also checked a version of MH-BoomBoomBridge, bots helped me until DeadZone, if I run fast to Warlord they lost me and turned back on the bridge collecting items. I rebuild paths with the same procedure, other pathnodes network and bots succesfully removed last boss, Zenith told: That was nasty ! (he killed the Warlord-boss). So, why some people think they are stupid ? Guilty for anoying behavior is only the mapper. They are usefull in some maps, check bot support from MH-Kitarra, MH-LiandriInvasion, MH-Arden+fix, etc. They can finish maps without any human help. Why they know those maps and others not ? Beacause of mapper, end of story. A crap begins when an admin reedited a map and didn't renamed it, because will cause mismatch if a player had already that map in UT Game client (must delete it for download the new modified map).
I don't understand yet why monsters are more sensitive than bots, even more smart ? Hit a monster from a long range in a map without pathnodes and he will run directly to you (MH-MinasTirith). Bots just taunt (I'm hit) they can die without reply, in that map they are more blind than a 80 years old man.
I recognize that is difficult in Monster Hunt mod to create a map with bot support, but Shrimp himself suggested this. What about a MH Game with usual 100 hp and usual ammo (no other mutators). I think can be sometimes harder than BT. For that reason Shrimp's help for MH said: "put bot support (recommended)". A player in MH map with usual ammo and life, I think is hard to finish map too fast. Others smart guys programmed so called mutators for MH, for helping players. I suggest: Do not blame the bots beacause of mapper's mistakes.
Point taken.