Favorite Maps

General Monster Hunt talk
jcowman

Favorite Maps

Post by jcowman »

Just been checking the map lists and their ratings. Very few have ratings and most are only rated by 1 or 2 individuals. I'm curious to see what are the favorites out there.

What are you favorite top ten MH Maps?

<GF>-REX!!

Post by <GF>-REX!! »

Here is my top ten in alphabetical order:

Doom][Courtyard
GlassCoop
HellFire
jikyu-800en
Krogaar
PoL1-Frigid
Ruins-Bridge
Ruins-Stairs
SkyWars_RocketX
Sunken

Of course, the overall experiences vary from server to server. For example, I never vote for GlassCoop unless I'm with a cooperative crowd, which isn't very often. Also Ruins-Stairs is far too difficult unless you have enough players.

(I left out ports/remakes.)

Feralidragon

Post by Feralidragon »

I always liked the ATAA0, Godz and LongCorridor maps. But my top favorite is without a doubt Andromeda: good looking, big, lots of monsters and stuff to do, and excellent gameplay.

jcowman

Post by jcowman »

Thanks to <GF>-REX!! and Feralidragon for your lists.

I hope we'll see some more lists from others.

I would have liked to set this up as a poll, but I didn't see a way for people to post their 10 favs.

It's been a while since I played and I have to go back through my maps to pick my top ten. I remember that I liked the TGES series. I'll post my top ten soon.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Alucard

Post by Alucard »

I don't know why I bother adding my two cents as for me, graphics actually DO matter.. I can't play a map that looks like a load of random box rooms connected together with Box Hallways and only plays averagely.

That said 98.9% of the UT maps just don't have the healthy balance between Gameplay and Graphics.

Anyway for me:

MH-Miam: Nice looking, not too tight or too open, weapon, monster and ammo placement is done perfectly and the queen has actually been set up PROPERLY with QueenDests

MH-LongCorridor2006 If I WANT to play spam-maps I play this one, lots of monsters but there's also effort done in detail, Also, unlike many maps it forces players to work together. NEVER play it alone

I would add more to this list but I'm out of time. Generally you can expect any map by: Cardiologist, Blizz, Rob, Derdak2Rot, Nr2000 or XYZ8000 to be a good one that does good on graphics without making the gameplay worthless,and also keep in mind it has to play good.
[img]http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/6645/seralsigep4.jpg[/img]
[img]http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs36/f/2008/263/3/e/Derideal_Fanstamp_by_Flammenwolf.jpg[/img]
Alucard supports [url=http://www.derideal.com]derideal[/url]

X920MikeyB

Post by X920MikeyB »

I feel ya Alucard. It's exactly the same for me. There's alot of diabolically crap maps on the main MH server. Some aren't even playable. Such as one that was "Converted" from a dm map... cant think of the name atm just woke up. But there was alot of gfx glitches and absolutely no monsters?

Yet its been added to the server?

There's alot of MAPS on the MH servers, and I hate to say it, about 90% that ive tried are absolute crap. Now I aint just gonna sit here and blam peoples maps for the sake of it. So let me explain why they are blammed as crap.

Basic example of a crap map.

I spawn in a square room with 1 stinger in the middle. To open a door to be rushed by 50-100 pupae's or other such monsters. Even if they only have 300hp or sometimes less/more. There is not enough Ammo, Nor time to kill these before we get spawn killed.

So let me sum it up why probably abouyt 80-90% of the maps on the official MH server are a waste of space and time. And someone needs to go through them or we need a ranking/voting system maybe on here where we can vote on each map. And any maps with say more than 70% bad votes gets deleted off the server.

1: Square Rooms.

WHY!? Think about it... Why would you suddenly "SPAWN" in the middle of a random square room? One door way out to the monsters? Where did you come from? - There's no portal, door or anything simbolising what may of happened before? - MAPS NEED STORYLINES! and a feel to them.

Also add a bit of imagination to them. Don't just put a square room. Put things in it. But keep them proportioned at least.

2: Lack of Weapons / Ammo.

Yes, we have MHP (Monster Hunt Plus) Where you start with 200hp and can get upto 500hp. Ammo regens. - But thing is. This most to me is a "Cheat" mode... It's not a real survival type monster game is it?

The ammount of maps, some that even look remotely good. Fail because of the lack of decent weapons, health / armour pickups... But most of all... AMMO! Can't stress how desperate it is to have lots of ammo!

If you dont want lots crowding your level! Then set 4-5 piles with a respawn time of 0-5 seconds.

3: Spawn killing / Too many monsters.

Again, Spawn in a small or sometimes large room. With 1 or 2 weapons with NO ammo what-so-ever. Open a door and get rushed by 50 monsters. - Then everytime you spawn, you die? - No fun in this... Going back to the funnel days -.- any moron could make a funnel map. Add 100 redeemers at the top. Then everyone else gets spawn killed. No skill in the map making, nor in the game play.

Same with maps with too many monsters, which normally comes with bad planning of the monsters locations and lack of ammo / weapons.

Think, why would 50 monsters be hiding behind a door? - Space them out, vary them. Give them varied hp. All monsters dont have to have the projectile, ai and skill that theyre preset with. Edit some. Also using Zone Info's so that monsters arent active straight away decreases lagg and the generators (monster spawners) forgot the actual name lol cba 2 open unrealED yet. Are useful things.

Anyways... If you're going to make a map. Take alot of time to think about it, and plan it out first. Else it will end up failing. Even with a good looking map. If its unplayable, hence lack of ammo, monsters or too many monsters. It becomes an annoyance and desperation to finish rather than an enjoyable map where you think OMG whats nexT!! xD! eeek or I cant wait for the next part!!!

Right... Here's a few maps off hand that are my total favourites... I don't even have 10... -.-

1: Demons][ - Nice map... Little confusing sometimes but overall good.

2: LandsOfNapali - This map has got to be one of the best. It's nicely decorated and built, you get the instant feeling straight away. To the point I felt like I was playing a similar game to "Enclave" when going through this level. Definitely a 10/10!

3: MH-Doom][Courtyard-fix3 - Although it needs some work, this is an enjoyable and playable map.

There's a few others but can't remember names, and I played one last night. Which wasnt the "BEST" of maps. But was actually pretty enjoyable with a few players. Only downfall - Lack of ammo.

4: BoomBoomBridge - Half decent map. Just lack of ammo. And too many monsters here and there. Took longer to complete than it should have because we had 2 use the very limited 3 redeemers on the top of the bridge supports to take most of the mobs out 1 by 1.

That's it for now.

Im gonna get cracking on my Diablo map =]

Ciao for now.
The one and only... X920MikeyB

Creavion

Post by Creavion »

2: LandsOfNapali - This map has got to be one of the best. It's nicely decorated and built, you get the instant feeling straight away. To the point I felt like I was playing a similar game to "Enclave" when going through this level. Definitely a 10/10!
"nicely built". Pfft.. thats a rip of the second Unreal - Return to Na Pali Map...
Yearh, really a lot of work... take a Unreal map, add some monsters and pickups, congrats!

Original Map title: Neve's Crossing
Original author: Nivlek

X920MikeyB

Post by X920MikeyB »

Creavion wrote:
"nicely built". Pfft.. thats a rip of the second Unreal - Return to Na Pali Map...
Yearh, really a lot of work... take a Unreal map, add some monsters and pickups, congrats!

Original Map title: Neve's Crossing
Original author: Nivlek
Wasn't aware of this when i first played it =o looked a bit too good 2 be player built :P
The one and only... X920MikeyB

Creavion

Post by Creavion »

I dont know what you are thinking, but to build maps like those one isnt that hard... at least not for me^^