* Login   * Register    * Search
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

PACO wrote:
Skillz, I can't pm you but shoot me one if possible or send me an e-mail. Would like to talk with you.

PACO

I fixed that issue. PMing you now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What I can do is this.

If anyone cares to donate, use this page http://news.ut-files.com/donation/

If I don't get enough donations to keep the server running for that month, I will refund the money back to you. ut-files.com needs $21 by the first of next month. Then on the 12th of next month $165 is due. Your donations can keep the site going for as long as the donations come in. Once donations can't reach a goal, whoever donated towards that current goal will be refunded.

For example:

If I get $15 before the first of next month, I will refund that money.
If I get $21 before the first of next month, that money will go towards the server's payment and will not be refunded. After that, the next goal will be $165. Anyone who donates money after the $21 has been paid, you'll get that money back; but anyone who donated towards the $21 will not.

Hope that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:18 pm 
BANNED

I think it's great but I wouldn't expect anyone to give anything, especially on a semi-regular basis.

I'd like your blessing to move forward with an alternative. I was going to email you this but it's just as good done here. You've carried the torch for a very long time and you deserve a break from the financial end. I've spoken to several long-term server admins and they will help with the running and upkeep of a ut-files type public redirect/file host. It will be strictly for UT, there will be a small forum for informational postings, and an FTP server for admins to dump files for the redirect. Since the admins interested know most of the UT files it ought to be pretty easy to keep the redirect clean and running smoothly.

The site name utfiles.org is available and I'd like to use that if you would not be offended. Additionally I'd like to do a site rip of the UT files before they drop away from public view. This is very much a continuation of what you are doing here, there will be no clan affiliation and all files will be public and free. You are welcome to have full access too if you want.

I arranged a dedicated server with 750GB and unlimited transfers on a 100MB pipe. Since the processor doesn't need to be bleeding edge fast (it's just a file host) I was able to get a damn good deal. I'm really afraid if there is not a free and easy files host for UT things it could begin a very steep decline in what's left of the player base. Without UT-Files it's almost impossible to bring on new servers since the files to customize are so damn hard to find and the clans all protect their stuff like it's national secrets. With a little effort one could build a pretty decent setup much like you are running but with the benefit of a handful of senior guys all keeping it neat and tidy.

Anyway I didn't move on this because being the UT files host has always been your thing and I don't wish to step on toes. If you are OK with this I'll get it off the ground. If you aren't or you want me to wait then I certainly will.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kelly wrote:
I think it's great but I wouldn't expect anyone to give anything, especially on a semi-regular basis.

I've got one guy who is willing to donate $50, another that will donate $40 monthly for as long as I need. I haven't accepted either yet, because $90 simply wont take care of the bill. If it wasn't for the guy who offered $50, I woudn't have even made that post. It's worth a shot though. That means we only need to come up with $75 for another month of hosting and another month to give me to find another job.

Kelly wrote:
I'd like your blessing to move forward with an alternative. I was going to email you this but it's just as good done here. You've carried the torch for a very long time and you deserve a break from the financial end. I've spoken to several long-term server admins and they will help with the running and upkeep of a ut-files type public redirect/file host. It will be strictly for UT, there will be a small forum for informational postings, and an FTP server for admins to dump files for the redirect. Since the admins interested know most of the UT files it ought to be pretty easy to keep the redirect clean and running smoothly.

I will continue to carry the torch (ut-files.com) even if I have to lay it down for a little while. The site will not be gone permanently. Soon as I get another job, the site will come back.

Why those server admins wont help keep this place running is beyond me. :hsdunno:

Kelly wrote:
The site name utfiles.org is available and I'd like to use that if you would not be offended. Additionally I'd like to do a site rip of the UT files before they drop away from public view. This is very much a continuation of what you are doing here, there will be no clan affiliation and all files will be public and free. You are welcome to have full access too if you want.

You're free to register whatever name you want. I will not consider it the "successor" nor the "continuation" of ut-files.com. It can run along with ut-files.com. I see no problem with multiple sites operating similar ways that ut-files.com does. In fact, one of the members here hosts a file repository very similar to what I've created here. His isn't as large as the one at ut-files.com, but it does most of all the important files.

You have access to the site just as much as anyone else in the public does. Please don't ask for special privileges to gain access to things such as the FTP. Due to your past history, that will never happen. Sorry man.

Kelly wrote:
I arranged a dedicated server with 750GB and unlimited transfers on a 100MB pipe. Since the processor doesn't need to be bleeding edge fast (it's just a file host) I was able to get a damn good deal. I'm really afraid if there is not a free and easy files host for UT things it could begin a very steep decline in what's left of the player base. Without UT-Files it's almost impossible to bring on new servers since the files to customize are so damn hard to find and the clans all protect their stuff like it's national secrets. With a little effort one could build a pretty decent setup much like you are running but with the benefit of a handful of senior guys all keeping it neat and tidy.

That's fine. For a strictly UT site 750GB is more than enough. If you think having a free redirect/repository is going to kill UT; then you're mistaken. The only service that could single handily kill UT is when Epic decides to turn off the Master Server. Even then I don't think it would die out completely.

Wasn't aware the site here was messy. :o

Kelly wrote:
Anyway I didn't move on this because being the UT files host has always been your thing and I don't wish to step on toes. If you are OK with this I'll get it off the ground. If you aren't or you want me to wait then I certainly will.

Do what you feel you need to do. It's not like I can stop you, or anyone, for starting a similar service. ut-files.com isn't the only free public redirect around anyway. There is at least one other that I know of, guy by the name of zunnie runs it.

If you want my honest opinion; Why waste resources on a second service to do exactly what this service does in the first place when those resources could go towards keeping this site alive. :dunno:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:12 am 
BANNED

I think you might be underselling the good you do with UT-Files. People don't say much publicly until something bad happens but you know that if the site were to go down it would hurt the game in a very bad way. If you really do 2TB on a slow month then that pretty much tells the story.

I didn't infer that your site was messy or that it is negative in any way whatsoever. In fact I'm of the opinion that it serves a vital need. Everyone knows about it and obviously a large number of people use it so it's loss would be really bad. Unfortunately you are in a position right now where it will take constant donations to keep it up and in my experience that's just not going to happen from this community.

In truth I don't really want to do this. It's going to be a lot of work and demand on the free time that I have little of. I just happen to be on vacation this week and I've got some time to get this rolling. The fact is though that I think it's that important to the game. I don't want to run along side what you do, that's uncool of me. I'll only do this if UT-Files is going to go down so please keep me posted.

And I don't need any more access than what the public has. I've gotten pretty good at doing what I need to do with no special help from anyone. Yours would only be the latest in my list of backups of UT sites, however it's a bigger rip so before I use your bandwidth I wanted to get the OK.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:38 am 

well....first post here,hi all
.... not the best times of the place...so...sorry to hear that mate, and best luck to find a new job

it seem that it s a general tendencie to reduce costs on every UT3 related thing, the game needs new blood and if a new UT isnt coming soon i m scared that the whole serie will slowly die.
The last guys involved in the UT world are themselves often paying for forums and servers since years like i do, so not a lot of help to wait from there imo....we re all in the same boat haha^^
@ UOF, we re back on activeboard forums since some years as it s free and works well (no options of course but just enough to keep the life running...)

about the datas, nothing is written in stone and we can remember the filefront flops (multiple file deletions and quite total deletion when they became gamefront),Zunnies database and even UTZone.de was lost and had to be totally reuploaded in the past :it prooves that nothing s never lost and that a site can respawn like a phoenix
we just need to take care that no file is lost or missing if this site is off or "transferred"
all that to say that if u need help to upload files on other sites or even on our PCs here @ home to help you to save the "whole UT collection".... just ask ;-)

again best luck to find a job and thx for all the work u also did for our UT world

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well as of right now, the $21 for the beginning of next month will be paid. Someone is donating the $21 for that, then he pledges to donate $20 a month after that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Total reached so far: $71.77
Total to go: $114.23

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wonder why Paypal is suddenly charging for donations now. The donation total was $75, but paypal took $3.23.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:04 pm 

Donations are something like 2.7% I believe. Get on AIM or MSN and we can handle the rest. UT-files won't be closing any time soon :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next