* Login   * Register    * Search
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:02 am 

ok, So I got my hands in this DoomPawns.u file for Unreal1 which wasnt compatible for UT99 at all because it was probably made for one of the un-official version of the game. I just finiched converting the whole thing for UnrealTournament UT99 and all I gotta say is that they're great.

Porting the mod wasnt easy because I had to take the whole thing apart using both Ued2.0 and the editor for Unreal since it can delete classes. I found that some scripted functions differ from the ones on UT so I came to fix it easy, but the file wouldnt save because of errors with the sounds. It happens that most of the sounds were buggy so I exported them all to edit them with a SoundEditingProgram and then imported them back into a new file. Well, I'm not gonna go into details but the thing is that it was a lot of work to port the mod properly to use in UT99.

While playing with the monsters I noticed that some of them spawn the projectiles were they shouldnt like right on the center when they carry their weapons on the right hand, I will have to fix that and any other problems I see before releasing it. I'll also make a small play map for MH with the monsters so players get to see them in action as well.

Some things I would like though, is to be able to test the monsters with an experienced modder(s) before doing any release. Also, I would like to know who was the actual Author of the mod since there wasnt any information about him on the file at all. I would like to give him his credits since I am just porting it to UT only. Any thoughts or ideas about it are always welcomed too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:56 pm 

Hey - Good work - sounds interesting.
Glad to see there are still some good UT99 coders around! ;)

PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemer | + FOOD FIGHT w/Fry Pan Arena

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:15 pm 

:cool:
I must tell this to EvilGrins, he triggered me to fix DoomPawns for UT99 but now I see other skilled mapper already doing this. A long time passed until now, when I finally heard some good news.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:57 am 
Steals others work

Yeah - "2d" doompawns!
I first though wtf but actually they seem
almost better than the original "3d" ones.
Absolute must-have ... .

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:39 am 

In a way, They are better than multi polygonal mesh pawns because you will be able to have a bigger number of these pawns in view for the reason that they use a low-poly-flat-mesh which uses a lot less performance. Before, I thought that they have found a way to render a Sprite that will face the player depending on their view angle like they do in newer engines. But hey, 2-4 polies are better than over 100 anyways. And one thing do, you gotta take in account that every pawn uses performance just to run their script and you have to be careful when applying a big number of these pawns and make sure to test this in machines with the Recommended Requirements for the game at best.

Just to let people know, here's a few limitations of the Unreal 1 engine...
-- max 10,000 mesh polies in view.
-- max 100 BSP polies in view.
-- and, never use Dynamic Lightning on open bsp spaces in maps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:31 am 
Steals others work

WHAT ABOUT THE DOOMWEPS.U BTW ?

IF THEY LOOKED COOL ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:22 am 

I checked out the monsters and found a few bugs and some lame stuff. Their projectiles and instanthits do way too much damage and cause too much momentum where some rockets push you away almost as much as a redeemer explosion does :nono:

I also took a look at the stuff from that other package (DoomWeps.u) and found out that it requires the DoomPawns package for it to work. In that file I found subclasses for each of the Doom monsters that had a minor fix for them that prevents them from fighting each other or their own class, lol. I'm gonna add this fix in the main classes so this won't be needed on this version.

ok, so now that I have this other package, I'm going to merge both of them into a single file if possible. I will have to do the same thing I did with the pawns one to make it work in UT but I will take my time fixing them so other versions won't be necessary. If you guys know or have more packages related to these Doom packages let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:04 am 

Interesting stuff here! :naughty:

Quote:
In that file I found subclasses for each of the Doom monsters that had a minor fix for them that prevents them from fighting each other or their own class, lol. I'm gonna add this fix in the main classes so this won't be needed on this version.

I remember somewhat that somebody over at my forum was wondering about this part - how to do it.
Not sure - I gotta find out.
:boink:

PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemer | + FOOD FIGHT w/Fry Pan Arena

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:50 pm 

Yea, almost each creature subclassed of ScriptedPawn has an attitude for other creature. Of course this is the alternate attitude. Studying a few hours ScriptedPawn code I found something interesting and not used as I saw in a bunch of mods. Everybody triggered a strong tick to stop constantly their fight, and this is not really needed always if you can call friendly attitude. This means even aggresive classes like Berserkers won't fight with their own class or other classes, at least will cooperate against player. Because the most of mods don't call friendly attitude, indeed is a need to set their alternate attitude to be friends with others like them, or else will spam server or will remove each other before to be killed by players depending on mod.

Conclusion as request: If you intend to release these packages, I want to know them as being a subclass of ScriptedPawn, this can be very helpfull, not just for a single place, more mods have diiferent ways to deal with ScriptedPawns as root class.

Now I leave you alone to work.
Success !!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:57 pm 

So THAT'S what you've been up to!
Very Naabtacular!
We seem to be on opposite sides of the clock lately.
I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

Let me know if you need a server to test stuff on.
I'm still working the 8-5 / M-F schedule.