View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Team Monster Hunt revision 

Post Team Monster Hunt revision
I've thrown out this idea a few times over the years but no one (mapper) has ever given it much thought.
It could be a team event or played individually.
But basically what you have are two different, but identical, starting points within a map.
The object of the game is to get through your portion of the map before anyone else gets through their portion.
And along the way each section, which is the same as the next guy, will have its share of monsters to kill, clues to find and tasks to complete.
The first person or team to complete their section or sections will be the winner.
It’s Monster Hunt x 2.
So you're on one side of a map doing what another person is trying to do on the other side of the map.
Both trying to finish the map and at the same time compete against one another.
Does that make sense?

Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:45 pm
BANNED

That would be fun as hell if you glassed a partition so you could see where your competition was at. Also it would be easy to script a rolling scoreboard in the maps so it would be like:
Player BLANK leads the race by 11 seconds at the last waypoint...

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:20 pm

I don't know if it was ever released, but i remember there was a version of LongCorridor being developed for TMH that was exactly that. Big glass wall in the middle and both teams raced through the exact same course. The problem we ran into with the glass wall idea was that Unreal culls out a lot of things on the other side of a glass wall in an online game. Mainly, the monsters. So you couldn't see any of the monsters on the other teams side. We managed to make it so that it wouldn't cull them, but it also had the side effect that the other teams monsters would try to attack you. Kind of a catch-22....

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:59 pm
BANNED

Without some sort of visual reference a race wouldn't be that fun. It hadn't occured to me that opposite monsters might concentrate on the wrong player, but it makes good sense.

I wonder if the glass could be replaced with a simple blocking volume instead? Make a long corridor, lay some guide strips down showing where the limits are and using volumes to separate things. I'm not sure how the monsters would behave though. Can they "see" through all the volume types?

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:39 pm
Site Admin

I was just about to say what Timmy said, I haven't seen the map though but I do remember the talk about it.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:44 am
Profile WWW

That would be fun as hell if you glassed a partition so you could see where your competition was at. Also it would be easy to script a rolling scoreboard in the maps so it would be like:

Sounds like the glass some maps use in BT & the map is made the same mirrored way.
As for the scrolling scoreboard, you could use SCREEN (last version made was 131) done by Mychaeel several yrs ago & seen on a map or 2 in MH (was 1st used in Jailbreak 3). His original website on planetunreal is no longer up, but the forum they got is still around though: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/forumdis ... orumid=149

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:22 am
Site Admin

Oh I forgot about screen, couple nice maps use it too.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:37 am
Profile WWW
BANNED

I just screencapped a map that used this while working through the downloads section. Nice script, I wonder how moddable it is? I think you could probably tie that into any broadcast handler.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:03 am

I like the idea on a rolling scoreboard.
It would keep taps on points as well as time.

Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Maps would be 1/2 as hard to make, just do the half then Copy/Paste it

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:34 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next