View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Counter Monster Hunt 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure how active the boards are, but they are still up:

http://www.wingedunicorn.tk/

You can go there and possibly ask him? :hsdunno:

Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

I posted. I'll let you know what happens.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:51 pm

I doubt that you could simply take control of an existing monster. As for players playing as monsters spawned from SpawnPoints, this way could work. (Aslong as the SpawnPoints are spawning default monsters.)

Each monster type will require a custom PlayerPawn class created for it, to allow players to fully use it. This part requires a lot of work, since monsters are missing a lot of animations that players have. As for reassigning a different monster to a player on the fly, I'm lost there. Only thing I can think of is destroying that monster and changing the player's PlayerPawn class to a new PlayerPawn designed to mimic that specific monster.

UTMCoop for UT used custom PlayerPawns to allow you to play as a player that mimics a monster. UT does not allow you to control a pre-scripted pawn, like a monster. ScriptedPawns/monsters have no functions accepting input, so the way to do it is to make custom PlayerPawns.

I suppose custom PlayerControllers could work like you've been discussing, but I wouldn't know where to start there. :P

Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:06 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

Rex I appreciate your input and opinions. It's gotten me thinking in several different directions now, depending on what happens with the coop source code.

I came here from 2K4 invasion, where I made custom monsters for use on INV servers. I've worked on some admin mods too and all these required work in controller classes. I'm fairly comfortable in scripting said controllers but I have a lot of blanks where data should be on this. It's just a gut reaction but I'd think with about 80% certainty that simply assuming the monster's control (think BE the monster) won't work online. Unreal engine is very fickle about controller assignment and any change in that requires an object be destroyed and remade with the new controller intact. I'd also guess with the same certainty that the default monsters have no script input for control and all that would have to be written, which may very well "break" them as this will directly conflict with their AI.

Now I have been looking at the code on UTMCoop and his solution is pretty elegant. For all intents and purposes you appear to be the monster but the player retains all the rights of a player. I really hope we can mod for this. I see many, many possiblities for this way beyond teams.

Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:00 pm
BANNED

OK a little update. I looked up a long time ago AGUT buddy to get permission to use his radar code. While at his site I found his code for spawning monsters and you can in fact spawn monsters from navigation points with the proper code. This is huge for the possible mod as it allows map spawning all over the place if a map has proper nav set up. I'm still waiting for his permission to use the radar, but I wouldn't worry. He's a good guy, long moved on from UT but still very computer oriented.

Also I still have gotten no answer from the maker of coop. :meh:

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:34 pm

Post Re: Counter Monster Hunt
You're a UT designer and maker or something?

I love your idea cant wait for it to be realeased are you working on it right now?

Are you using custom maps?

Nice idea :D

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:33 am

Although im not a scripter (have made rifles etc for a few camping clans)
I would like to offer any help I can.

Also when (and i say when because this is too good an idea to not got it running)
this hits BETA stage [g4U] would be happy to test it for you guys !!

Just wish I could be of more help !!

Sp00neY

Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:46 am
Profile WWW

well ... gopostal is banned from here and he is afaik the only one arround to actualy carry the idea out.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are plenty of people with enough experience in uscript who can get the job done.

Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

MAYBE this could be done a **Little** differently... There's a class in the edetor, Unrealshare.SkaarjPlayer... Maybe screwing around with it could have the desired effect?

Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next