View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Monster Hunt Advanced Mutator 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maps that have altered pickup names are not our problem to deal with. Since majority of the maps use the same pickups/ammo that's all it needs to worry about.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

I'll do some testing this week. I'm curious if altering the pickup in the mylevel portion of the map will cause it to not work. If that's the case then I'll have to paint with a broader brush.

Just to be clear what are you wanting limited? Scuba, keg, belt, amp. Did I miss anything?

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

ammo, vest, thigh pads, search light and flash light

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:51 pm
Profile WWW

Aslong as the pickups in maps are subclassed from whatever it is your referencing, they will be included as well. For example, if you want to prevent picking up ScubaGear and there is an item MyScubaGear that is a child of ScubaGear. The custom one will be included as well since it IS considered to be a ScubaGear object.

When checking if a player has ScubaGear, if a player has a MyScubaGear, it would count as ScubaGear. (So theres no need to add custom items into your code.)

Both searchlights & flashlights could be covered by just using flashlight. (Theres no need to allow players to have both a searchlight and a flashlight is there?)

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some maps have searchlights, some maps have flashlights.

Searchlights never go out.
Flashlights die after a short period of time.

So really, if a player has a searchlight, they shouldn't be allowed to pick up a flashlight as well. It's just pointless. If a player has a flashlight, they should only be allowed to pick up another flashlight after a short time period has passed and/or the flashlight they had is dead. A player with a flashlight should be able to pick up a searchlight, since it is considered an upgrade.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:45 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

Yeah I need to spend some time in inventory learning things. I think it may be easier to alter respawn times for selected objects/classes rather than checking PRI for inventory.

BTW searchlights will die. They have a set time to expire in the properties.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah I need to spend some time in inventory learning things. I think it may be easier to alter respawn times for selected objects/classes rather than checking PRI for inventory.

BTW searchlights will die. They have a set time to expire in the properties.

Yea but I am pretty sure the time a search light has is set so high on of two things normally make it seem to last forever.

1. It lasts longer than most people live.
2. It lasts longer than it takes to complete a level.
3. It lasts longer than most servers time limit.

(ok, so I found three)

I'm not sure what the time limit is on a searchlight, nor was I aware it had one. Though I have never seen one go out on me.

The flashlight on the other hand, life's span is very short.

The respawn time of the items should not be changed. Simply because it can make the game too easy, when one can just stay close to one of the items respawn points and just keep getting it, since it will respawn faster/quicker thus making the game easier.

I also forgot about the health items.
med boxes, nali fruit, bandages, health vials, ... I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more.

If the health items spawn faster, then users would just have to wait a shorter time for them to respawn. If ammo respawned faster, you'd be able to fill up your inventory faster without having to wait that long, etc... Thus altering the balance of the game too much.

In order for a MH map to really be good, the mapper shouldn't just spam the map with enough stuff for the max number of players to play. Because if you do, then when only a couple of players are playing, it'll make the level super easy with lots of inventory items to choose from.

:hsdunno:

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:29 am
Profile WWW

I suggest whatever changes you implement into the pickups and other stuff to make them configurable in the ini file (bPickupXRespawnTime=30), that way the server admin can customize his server to his exact needs, and we as players will find the servers to vary more and find our favorite based on the settings. That's what's so great about UT99, it's so damn easy to customize and i believe that's why people still playes it.

Then the speculation of the impact a fast respawn will have on the gameplay will be done by the server admin alone. The mod should be released with the default respawn time in the ini file though.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:03 am
Profile WWW
BANNED

Man if you want the single best resource ever for UT, go here:
http://unreal.student.utwente.nl/uncodex-ut/

On the sliding menu "Classes" on the left, slide it down to "Searchlight" and select. The center screen will switch to that class and if you slide it down you'll see the normal default properties for the Searchlight (or anything else in the game). It seems the SL has a standard charge of 20,000. I thought like you though that it didn't run out but while Hellrazor and I were beta testing DeadCityREMIX his actually ran out once. I then looked it up to see what had happened so that's why I know about this.

Let me play around some with the pickup blocking and see where I can go with it. I just don't see it possible to monkey with the player inventory if a mod like UTJ or something like that is running (at least as far as ammo and health is concerned) without having major conflict issues. Dane's idea of a configurable mod is probably the best solution but I'm curious if the map will over-ride the mod like it does in other odd things?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh snap. 20,000 seconds? That's over 300 minutes! :lol: No wonder.

Like I said before, it UTJ is running then this mod shouldn't be used. Since it defeats the purpose. UTJ regens health, gives random amps, etc...

It is possible, they use it on the SLV to prevent bots from running around grabbing all the SLVs and not using them.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next