View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 TeamMH: Unable to trigger AdvancedMonsterEnd 

Yeah that makes more sense to me too, which is why I suggested a similar thing. Unless it's really needed and you have something set up for that way, I think having a door open for it would be better, as it not only makes more sense, it also helps the map "flow" to a finish, rather then having the 6 people win the map, just to be left rotting away in a room which they either get out of (with no explanation on how) or that they just cannot get out.
Sorry for the rambling, I like map flow though, and get picky about it (hleping someone with the same topic atm.)

Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:32 pm

well, i like the idea of the triggered endgame function, how many of you haven't tried cleaning a map for monsters and then the map doesn't end or have even the end trigger placed in the map so you just run arround like a fool untill the majority of players have manualy opened mapvote and chosen a new map? ..... those maps are lame, and back when i ran a MH server i deleted any map of that kind i was aware of, because with 10 players online it took ages for 6 players to vote for a new map ... and many players would disconnect long time befoe that. So a triggered endgame would be nice in some cases. Gameflow or not ... i believe when there is no monsters left the game has ended naturaly as the gamestyle is named : MonsterHunt. So if the plan in TMH is to make the team that frags 100 monsters first the winner, then it should be triggered to make it clear who wun, how many would know to run somewhere when 100 monsters are fragged if there is still more monsters in the level? How many players actualy reads the readme file of the maps they play on the servers? Not many would be my guess.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

One prime example of a MH map where you have to run to a small proximity of the map to end it is DefendingMars.

If you don't know to run out and around the edge till you find the little flying space ship, you'll be running around the base forever.

I have also seen maps that can be a bit confusing be VERY easy to navigate due to arrows telling the player which way to go. Well ok, so one map. Andromeda Ancient.

Granted, it's still up to the mapper to make use of it.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:11 am
Profile WWW
BANNED

So let me get this straight. The end trigger function of monster end doesn't work if you set the map to end on last monster killed without hacking the monsterend to do some funky thing? I can fix the check pretty easily, and I'd bet I know whats wrong with it in the first place.

You know, I'm pretty curious how you guys would feel about fixing that and a couple of other minor code issues, then sorting through the maps for some {fix}ing? There's some good maps in there but a goodly chunk of them have play issues that would be so nice to fix (locking the exterior door to zombies in dead city, move the spawn closer in Minas Tirith, lower the health from the stupid millions they are in some map bosses, adding some weapon spawns into the BT laden maps, etc). I'm not saying change the maps but minor tweaks to make them fit our server's general playstyle. I know that other servers have done this and the changes I noticed were all for the better.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The only thing I request is.

1. Make a reasonable effort to contact the author of the maps. Let them have the chance to fix the issues first. (I know you will. Just wanted to post it)

2. If you are unable to find the author of the maps, when you make a change and you rename it accordingly, rename it to something like V2, V3, etc.. Do not put the PMH name on it basically.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:01 am
Profile WWW

well, if you change the maps to fit the PMH server, i would think a (PMHfix) in the end of the mapname would be the perfect solution, then the author also knows who to contact if there are issues (if he/she didn't put the name in the level info you realy can't be blamed for making changes without permission).

But it's tragic to see so many MH servers out there who are putted up with a million maps just to have quantity...... any good server admin would chose quality over quantity.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:08 am
Profile WWW
BANNED

I'll be sure to contact every mapper possible. I'm not talking about any major altering, just little stuff to make the maps more palatable. Altering the spirit of a map is bad. You have to be really careful with this though.

Here's my proposed procedure: We list the maps needing any fix. I'll contact the makers. Barring any reply I'll put together a few people who would be interested in fixing and do the work. It shouldn't be hard or take very long. In each altered map I'll include my email in the level info. There's no reason that someone couldn't find out who did the work if they are offended. If they balk, we'll replace it back.

As to the added suffix, how about just {fix} or {fix1} if it has been done already? It's simple and clear.

I'll start a thread on maps to be worked on.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:48 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

well, if you change the maps to fit the PMH server, i would think a (PMHfix) in the end of the mapname would be the perfect solution, then the author also knows who to contact if there are issues (if he/she didn't put the name in the level info you realy can't be blamed for making changes without permission).

But it's tragic to see so many MH servers out there who are putted up with a million maps just to have quantity...... any good server admin would chose quality over quantity.

I never thought of it like that. I just do not want PMH to be known as editing maps without mappers permission. I do not want that image.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

You have my word Skillz I will be totally respectful. If I have any sort of doubt at all, I'll run it by you first. There's just stuff in maps that has no reason at all not to be fixed. I can't imagine a mapper getting pissy about something that is obviously wrong being adjusted. Often problems won't come to light until a map gets some play anyway.

If you cruise around some of the other MH servers, making map adjustments is almost the norm. I see {fix} and {vX} a lot. If I had to guess there are probably 15-20 good maps that don't get the play they should on PMH because something is fundamentally wrong in them. HellRazor summed it up nicely a little bit ago in chat: "There's just too many to list." He plays more than anyone, so his opinion carries a lot of weight.

I think where the slope gets slippery is when you start screwing with the map play. LongCorridor is a great example. I'd put some teleporters in there if it were my map, but doing so would change the dynamics of the map. I think it would get more play that way, as no one really likes the half hour run to get killed (then repeat) so I think thats why that map sees little play. However doing a change like that would fundamentally alter the map play, even though it's a small thing.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Post Re: TeamMH: Unable to trigger AdvancedMonsterEnd
Yep, you saw the right thing COLLISION RADIUS and also COLLISION HEIGHT. You don't need to run in a trigger, you can be already in it when will become active triggered by a monster who died.

A trigger like Monster End can be turned on or off, you are the major instigator, not itself, there are a lot of example maps, you are really so stupid to put such questions ? Nobody teached me strategy to end a map with a boss's death, I understood the trigger myself, if you put the trigger in map, it has default properties. Default properties are not so usefull in all enviroments. If you are lazy and/or forgot to adjust collision you can say bye trigger.
Another type of retard system is to put 8 MonsterEnd-s in a place to be sure that the player will never miss the end. Unusefull and anoying load of map. A single end with a collision radius increased will give the same results, my request is to use your brain at 40 % power and will be much better.

Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next