* Login   * Register    * Search
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:26 pm 

Good to hear!
Keep us informed. :)

PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemer | + FOOD FIGHT w/Fry Pan Arena

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Shrimp wrote:
Skillz wrote:
I am not in the business of delivering every-single-file at once that I host anytime anyone wants them. You're not the first person who's asked and you wont be the last I am sure. The answer is the same. Hammer the site/server more than you need for personal use and you'll be automatically banned.

Hmm, this is disappointing. I was also hoping to create a copy of large parts of the archive (see my introduction thread). It seems unfortunate that all the content is stored in two places currently, with no visible means of creating additional repositories based on this content.

We've spent years and years archiving Unreal Tournament files. I've been hosting files since 2003 and you see what it's grown to since then. I haven't been around in years, by the way. So this archive could be larger, but I don't have the time to go around fetching new files anymore.
Shrimp wrote:
If/when both UT Files and Medor's archive go down, we're going to lose almost everything, besides what's sitting on people's hard drives.

Again, I've been hosting files since 2003. I've seen MANY sites claiming to do exactly what you're wanting to do come and go. It's the same thing every year. Someone thinks they need to download all the content in one go so they host them. In the 15 years I've been hosting files I've only been down twice (for long periods of time) both resulting from personal events in my life, but none of those events caused me to lose a single file (with the exception of some idiot who I gave FTP access to deleting a metric fuck-ton of files).

Shrimp wrote:
I feel like distributing this data is key to its longevity, reduces chances of permanent loss, and in a way would also reduce the running costs, since there are more places for people to download from.

That's not an issue. What needs to be done is someone needs to build a site that has links to both sites files with descriptions, screenshots, how-to guides, install guides, videos, ect.. of what every file does. That's something that was on my to-do list a few years ago, sadly I never got around to completing it. Not even sure if I still have what I started or not. I can look later, but I imagine it's gone.

I've been a UT player since 1999. This was my first ever online gaming experience. I will never let this go away. I still host multiple game servers as well. (If they're still up at least. Need to check on them soon)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:50 am 

Thanks for the reply.

Skillz wrote:
What needs to be done is someone needs to build a site that has links to both sites files with descriptions, screenshots, how-to guides, install guides, videos, ect.. of what every file does.

This is pretty much what I'm doing at the moment. I'm aggregating by linking to known sources, and in the process, building a 3rd mirror, which hopefully has additional stuff neither of the others do. One of the primary goals of this new thing is actually to allow people to download the entire archive (from my mirror, so as to not interfere with existing sources) with the metadata for personal/offline use, and to facilitate reviving it if we all die one day.

This probably sounds like an idea someone comes up with every few months and then vanishes, but I'm quite dedicated to the effort and am several months into the work so far.

Hopefully things will start coming online shortly, and I'll post links here for your reference once that happens.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:59 pm 

Thank you for your work on this Shrimp!
Good Job and good luck! :boink:

PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemer | + FOOD FIGHT w/Fry Pan Arena