* Login   * Register    * Search
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 am 

This is an underused trick in MH. MH, using UT as a base rather than Unreal, adds a bunch of extra things DESIGNED for BOTS, but they CAN be used for Monsters.

Now, as an example, have a look at the sniping towers in CTF-Face][. You will find little things called DistanceViewTriggers, which are attached to corresponding triggers in the opponents tower. What do these do?

Well, if a pawn doesn't have any orders or alarms set, when it is triggered, it will try kill the instigator. The Instigator is the person or pawn or bot or whatever who hit the trigger (As long as it's another pawn-They lack, for example, the AI to attack boxes, although you can make them do that with alarmpoints, but thats for another time)

DistanceViewTrigger triggers all mpawns in the area around it when it is triggered, and marks the one who triggered the DistanceViewTrigger as the pawns instigator. I used this in my map MH-(ZM)Machine to make the Mantas swarm the player when they stepped through the doorway (Which, in that case, was a VERY BAD IDEA XD) so, lets say you have a room with 5 skaarj, behind pillars or somesuch. They can't see the player. However, place a DistanceViewTrigger in the room and make sure its collision encompasses all the skaarj, and attach a trigger to it. as soon as they player sets off the trigger, the Skaarj will pop out of hiding and try kill the player, OR, if you've given them Orders or an AlarmTag, they'll act that out instead. This is a great way to set up an ambush, lets say you have a mountain pass with cave openings in the side.

-The player walks into the pass, a trigger is in the center, in between a set of cave openings, containing Skaarj and DistanceViewTriggers
-The player hits the trigger as they walk through
-Skaarj come swarming out of the caves and after the player, they will NOT stop until the player is DEAD or Far, FAR away, when triggered like this, the player becomes like the US president walking around a terrorist base, they all want him DEAD, above anything else

Just a tip, however: DO NOT make GIANT DistanceViewTriggers that encompass the whole area, too many monsters being triggered at once can cause serious, SERIOUS lag. As in, don't have it trigger more monsters than you would have the player fight at once, because triggering them all is the same as having them all in the same room, and can be VERY stressful on the CPU.

Have fun making your monsters ambush and relentlessly hunt players, combined with good pathing, this technique can be quite formidable (Since anything triggered will immediately lock on to the player regardless of location, and if the paths are there, IT WILL FIND YOU)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 am 

Great tip! DistanceViewTriggers are very useful. I never thought to use them in MH.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:03 am 

You can use them on anything that subclasses engine.pawn :) You can even use them on TeamCannons in AS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:20 pm 

:) Good
If you don't mind I want to be ambushed by monsters, you are the man.
:naughtyd:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:20 pm 

Great tip ! i will try this