View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 New coding/mods 
BANNED

Post New coding/mods
OK, it's getting about time to start work on building a better MH. Ideally what I would like to do is build things in modules. We decide on what we want done first, build that, then when it's done move to another thing. I can keep putting the part together as things progress, but since I will probably do most of the code, it will be a lot easier if I can work on one part at a time.

If anyone wants to help, please jump on in! If you code and are sitting on the fence about whether or not to assist, I want to assure you we are pretty relaxed and fun to work with. I've been on teams that just power through mods but I like to take more time and enjoy the process. There is no deadline, this is for grins and giggles only.

Skillz I know you have tons of ideas, so let's pull one out and get started. I've been plinking around on some of the mods you sent so I have lots of things I want to test out.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:28 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will get back to ya on this topic. Little busy today, have to go into work like 3 hours early. :mad:

Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

Yeah, getting to be the season here too. I actually heard the first Christmas songs on the overhead at Wal-Mart last weekend. :roll:

Take your time, it's no rush. Might not even be a bad idea to mock up something like a roadmap to guide things. Depending on what gets attention, we should do stand-alone stuff first like the UTMJ or the antiboost. That's pretty easy to tie in but if you start working on something like ASC or the actual MH code first, it might be difficult to include them after the fact.

You know Blizz got me thinking about textures too. We discussed making new game textures that looked nicer but I took it a step further. What do you look at the most while in game? The monsters themselves. Perhaps we could replace the stock ones with something much better looking? A replacement mod isn't hard to do, but skinning them would be tough. We've got some creative people here though, and I think a project like that would be do-able.

I also got to thinking about HUD's and how it might be pimp to have a custom MH HUD, or at least personalize the stock one. Toss in a rudimentary radar if it's plausible, maybe. Just thinking out loud.

Oh and thanks for moving this thread Skillz. I was trying to hurry and get it posted before the kids got up. Wasn't paying enough attention.

Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

-Mutator to prevent multiple pickups of items if you already have them. Example: If you have the shield, when you try to pick up another shield the mutator will see that you already have one, and wont allow you. Same for ammo/weapons and all power ups. If you already have the maximum you can hold, then it wont allow you to "take" the pickup.

-AntiBoosting for Monster Hunt. Ability for the player to turn this on/off client side.

-Mutator to drop all weapons when a player dies.This should help with lack of ammo in maps, plus it'll be more realistic. When your comrade dies in real life and you're low on ammo, you're going to take his.

-Show the health of monsters. Self explanatory. See about having some kind of way to make the numbers show up a little larger, maybe even make this part of the "HUD" so players can decide how big they want it.

-health/ammo regeneration

-Custom HUD, complete with monster radar and/or teammate location radar. (I like the idea of having teammate radar more than monster radar, just seems it'll be too easy) Maybe something that will show a name/score/life list on the HUD of your team mates,

This is what I have so far.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:25 am
Profile WWW
BANNED

OK, did a little research this morning and here's what I have found:

Multiple pickup prevention is doable, but you have to declare every single item. I think I'll set a mod up to limit one single item like shock rifle and see if it works ok. There are two potential problems I can see though. One, the mod could possibly lag the player as it will have to query the mod on every single pickup to check against a master list. and two I have a feeling nothing will work with UTJM like this. I'll give it a whirl and we'll see though.

Antiboost is written and works, I just need to add in a client choice ability.

About the dropping mod, is pinata not good? I know it has the amp/boots issue but I can remove that it if it's otherwise a good mod. Have you used it?

Drawing monster health is not hard. I like that too, but the one in UTJM is too small and it's not really bound correctly to the monsters. Too often you have to get right on them to see it especially with the titan sized ones. As a percentage, how much larger would you make the numbers? Twice the size they are now?

Health and ammo are also done to death. I'll find a good one, get permission and include it.

The HUD. I have several ideas about things to include with this. Fellow player lists, radars, monster health. We could start that by tweaking it a bit and seeing if ASC will still allow it. Perhaps a box down the right side with some extra info for starters. I'll see about adding a playerlist with health first.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:20 am
BANNED

OK, quick update. Spent the morning plugging around and got a script written that includes antiboost (not yet configurable but it's coming) and also a monster hud that displays health of the monsters on the fly. On screen radar is on deck for this too.
I'm having a problem though on compiling. I keep getting an error on the rock tentacle from the monsterhunt mod itself. Skillz, could you please shoot me a copy of the good source code so I can see if I can clear this? The error:
Code:
Analyzing...
Parsing RockTentacle
K:\UnrealTournament\MonsterHunt\Classes\RockTentacle.uc(1) : Error, Missing 'Cla
ss' definition
Failed due to errors.

History: CompileError <- TryCompile <- FScriptCompiler::CompileScript <- (Class
MonsterHunt.RockTentacle, Pass 0, Line 1) <- MakeScript <- MakeScript <- MakeScr
ipt <- MakeScript <- MakeScript <- MakeScript <- DoScripts <- UEditorEngine::Mak
eScripts <- UMakeCommandlet::Main

Lol, just peeked at the source for Rocktentacle and it's totally blank, empty UC. No wonder :nono:

Also a thought on this is that if I need to clean up the MH mod itself, do you simply want to include this into it as an addition? We can clean out the MH mod at your convenience and start with a fresh version and place things as desired and it would be clean and neat. You'll end up with an external ini config file but that's unavoidable if you want to have flexible settings (like health max, etc).

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:37 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, did a little research this morning and here's what I have found:

Multiple pickup prevention is doable, but you have to declare every single item. I think I'll set a mod up to limit one single item like shock rifle and see if it works ok. There are two potential problems I can see though. One, the mod could possibly lag the player as it will have to query the mod on every single pickup to check against a master list. and two I have a feeling nothing will work with UTJM like this. I'll give it a whirl and we'll see though.

I am only talking about the powerup items. Not the weapons. Those stay no matter what anyway. I am referring to the shield belt, armor, thigh pads, damage amp, jump boots, etc.. The server already has the ability to make the weapons "stay" as is. Not worried about the ammo either, see "pinata mod".

gopostal wrote:
About the dropping mod, is pinata not good? I know it has the amp/boots issue but I can remove that it if it's otherwise a good mod. Have you used it?

Yes the pinata mod is awesome. Needs some tweaking though. 1. Doesn't work with MH. 2. Weapons need to have a "time limit" after being dropped, if not it can and will lag the server if a bunch of people are dieing and not picking up the weapons (such as dieing in BT parts, where picking up the weapons will be impossible, etc..)

gopostal wrote:
Drawing monster health is not hard. I like that too, but the one in UTJM is too small and it's not really bound correctly to the monsters. Too often you have to get right on them to see it especially with the titan sized ones. As a percentage, how much larger would you make the numbers? Twice the size they are now?

Twice as large is a good start. I would maybe put this in a configuration file, so the server admin can decide.

gopostal wrote:
Health and ammo are also done to death. I'll find a good one, get permission and include it.

I agree, but people love it.

gopostal wrote:
The HUD. I have several ideas about things to include with this. Fellow player lists, radars, monster health. We could start that by tweaking it a bit and seeing if ASC will still allow it. Perhaps a box down the right side with some extra info for starters. I'll see about adding a playerlist with health first.

Sounds good.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:20 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

Just stuck my head in for lunch. I'd like for you to think about things you'd like to change in the monsterhunt mod itself first. It looks like some tweaking will have to happen on it no matter what, so we might as well get things the way we want them. I'll get an altered and stable PMH build of monster hunt first with any corrections you might want and then we can start building from there.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

As far as I'm concerned, MH is stable. It's just the maps that make it crash. Only thing I'd like to see fixed with the MH mod itself are as follows.

-Make it so monsters only attack humans. (IE: They don't attack each other)
-Make MH log deaths, kills, shots, etc... So UTStats will have something to "read"
-Fix the "team" so players can be any color with Val Avatar

Unless you just want to overhaul the entire mod, then do all the above plus what I was mentioning previously.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
BANNED

OK, about the monsters. When we made monsters for 2K4 invasion, we used code like this:
Code:
function bool SameSpeciesAs(Pawn P)
{
   return ( Monster(P) != none &&
      (P.IsA('SMPTitan') || P.IsA('SMPQueen') || P.IsA('SMPNaliFighter')|| P.IsA('Skaarj') || P.IsA('SkaarjPupae'))); ///here we have told it to be friend with those certain monsters (and any that are a subclass of it. Add more if you wish)
}

[Code used from Iniquitous's tutorials...Thanks INI!]

The problem is that UT doesn't segregate by species as far as I know. Everything is somewhat lumped together and the only real AI you can change is the monster's overall behavior. I'll look into this more, but I don't know really where to go.

On the logging, I will try to subclass some of the broadcast message triggers and see if I can get some sort of live feed to canvas to count the stats you want to do.

On the val avatar, can you elaborate further? I wasn't aware of a color problem with it, but it may be unavoidable. Red and Blue teams are hard coded into the game. You can subclass other colors, but you can't "delete" those two.

On a side note Skillz, I've been thinking all day about redoing MH. We will have to tread carefully because I'd bet it's a simple matter to screw up the support for existing maps. Take a titan for instance. If I figure out how to subclass it to make it attack only humans, it won't help existing titans already in the maps. You'd have to map using the new titan I think. Perhaps Blizz could wade in here and clarify this.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next