View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 MH-MeltTown Help Please! 
Steals others work

Post MH-MeltTown Help Please!
I guess most of you already played this supermap online.
Now im having a problem when joining a server - i cannot
see the skybox deco planets! In offline mode they are
visible though. I need to know if thats a client system
or a general map problem. So please check this on a
server and respond if theyre viewable for others.
Because in case they arent i could try using boulder
decos with the planet meshes since those are visible.

MH-MeltTownFinal6:
http://www.unrealplayground.com/forums/ ... le&id=8061

Pictures from my offline:

Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:53 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: MH-MeltTown Help Please!
Meshes are only visible if you're in the same zone and looking directly at the center of the mesh. Otherwise, they disappear after 5 seconds in order to save performance on clients.

Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:29 am
Steals others work

Oh - arent there any properties which could enable this? :meh:
And also - why are the small boulder decos visible then?

P.S.: I already made a version with boulder deco planets
- if someone likes to check them on a server:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jgbl78uqproufwe

Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:27 am
Profile WWW

Eh, why some people need a lot of years to see old and not so fixable issues related to Network play ?

Yea, visibility is a problem in Network. Some monsters or actors showed behind an assumed transparent glass or wall are dissapearing after a few seconds in Network Play even they are still there. Ask Epic about Engine behavior in Network...

A big monster less than half visible won't be visible any more in a few seconds. Some crashes based on the visibility are occuring in Both environments: Windows and Linux as well... A good coder told once frustrated in a forum: Engine seems to sh!t on itself...

Why non-human controlled pawns can see through movers (doors) ON-LINE and cannot see nothing OFF-LINE (mover off-line is solid) ? A bunch of maps can confirm this.

And other replication problem ? Could be. As long as in some heavy loaded maps if a monster is walking down (stairs, ramps) you can see his skin levitating (body is on ground in real position), you will want to shoot it under the skin to kill him. The same visibility trouble ?

Man, open your eyes. Only noobs can say: I played ON-LINE the same like OFF-LINE. Is not true at all - they lying ...

Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:29 am
Steals others work

Idea: Maybe this problem only occurs with cached maps!
I will check this and reply later ... .

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:19 am
Profile WWW

I don't think is about cached maps :meh:

I read a few days ago a document about a mod. That was in fact other confirmation about how worked was engine to save bandwidth, the game designed in '9x years was ready to support on-line players using a Dial-Up connection which was usually in that time 2 to 5÷6 kb/s depends on modem/and or provider. I don't know if you worked or not with such things but engine is not changing itself because we are in 2012. Imagine that you are a player from year 2000 playing on a Dial-Up connection. Now with some maths tell me how much information about a dynamic actor from game is sent from server to player at 2 kb/s. Why do you think engine is not designed to save resources ? Even other games like Starcraft are ready for Dial-Up and so on. Engine is testing if is necessary to update at client non-important things. Will suppress transmision until client is necessary to be informed about that actor.

There are also things called RemoteRole which are triggered by codes to be executed even separate. By example: a decal is not necessary to be in server, server doesn't have images and doesn't render. Only client is rendering but the server is suggesting to client what to draw and how to draw.
Other things like projectiles are updated on both sides being checked if are in identical or at least close to identical position (some projectiles may have a small difference from client to server creating small strange effects - is about some variables like bNetTemporary to be True or False).

I have a bunch of questions too about some things, who is able to return some answers ?

Example: an UT projectile have NetPriority 2.5 and ROLE_SimulatedProxy. Well I'm still wander why a few projectiles have ROLE_DumbProxy at RemoteRole since is necessary to be visible by any player which doesn't want to be a victim ?
Also other actors have NetPriority 1.00, but ROLE_DumbProxy at RemoteRole. Here I have some doubts to not see crappy errors related to visibility until server is crashing... I'm still wander why important things performing certain animations need DumbProxy because others like that class have SimulatedProxy - I think this is wrong. A static actor like an inventory or any like this may have always DumbProxy since is not moving and we don't need to waste resources for anoying updates about unmovable actors. I looked at more actors in Editor and I wasn't agree with all of them.
The only way to see if some values are good or wrong is to make a mutator containing replacements and to change some values, even later checking them with get commands to see if they were updated or not with new values and if won't be bad for game behavior.

In case of mis-understoods a ROLE_DumbProxy means an actor updated wicker. A projectile with DumbProxy is updated with some frames lost. ROLE_SimulatedProxy is updated more relevant runing smoother but consuming Net resources. At least for actors behind assumed glasses dissapearing in a few seconds I don't think I can deliver a good answer.

Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:40 pm
Steals others work

Bad news: it was the same as with cachemap only.
Anyways - would be great if this ever got fixed.
A shame - those so called decos disappearing
and not to mention the monsters!

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:53 pm
Profile WWW

Need to repeat ?

Aprox 800 monsters in a map and their data need to be sent from server to player at 5 kb/s and you want to see all of them ? He, he, nice try ...

There are some tricks about this subject but I prefer to leave things as they were meant to be...

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:16 am

Back or bump, I have some conclusions related to this one (never mind GenestPawn different versions). I'm not interested in sky or whatever decorations. I've been fooled a bit (until end) with 3 bots in last version with 1041 monsters. What can I say ? Is a hard load indeed, even with this and 40% CPU load, Bots (high skilled) delivered some score almost like me. In fact some technology to boost a lost bot worked this time unexpected. They've collected desired quantity of ammo and went out on battle-field, there I saw in editor some strange paths but they handled them pretty well. I was around, they hunted monsters in town constantly. Action at begining was a bit lazy due to a bunch of pawns. When number of monsters has been decreased under 200, Bots were increased in efficiency. What happened finally ? They discovered even last Boss killing him and returning to the lower level where are placed ends. They ended map. You asked about Bot support ? Is already done, in this load couldn't be better. In default MH not works ? No problem, I'm not using default or any copy of default.

I'll check where I can push the limits to see how many small tweaks I can put in A.I. controller to not stuck the action. I think next days when I'll put up for a few hours some ON-Line play, I'll remove all maps without paths leaving only maps with action to enjoy Bots and Monsters, even with chances to have only aprox. 30 maps loaded (I don't care about such problem). This could be one of those maps good enough for server and Minimum of 4 players (if you don't mind).

Decorations problems ? Kira is not interested about decorations just about monsters :P.

End of test !

Mon May 14, 2012 5:12 pm
Steals others work

The thing is - im not even sure if this already
was when i first tested the map on DU servers!
I believe to remember the planets actually were visible.
Just as the thing with the messed monster melees - when i first
made mh-brutes2 - it was still ok - im absolutely sure about this!
Be it or not - those thing could be fixed somehow - either about
new basic mods or pluging which e.g. allow serverside skybox
decos nowadays.

P.S.: Im btw also having a MH maps pack in my collection
- of course besides my taste of design also all bot pathed.

Fri May 18, 2012 8:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next