View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Counter Monster Hunt 

UTMCoop for UT used custom PlayerPawns to allow you to play as a player that mimics a monster. UT does not allow you to control a pre-scripted pawn, like a monster. ScriptedPawns/monsters have no functions accepting input, so the way to do it is to make custom PlayerPawns.

just make a new PlayerPawn that uses the mesh and skin you fancy, nothing biggy at all? You just need an AI script if you wish to team up with the monsters.

Added after 2 minutes:

Skillz wrote:
There are plenty of people with enough experience in uscript who can get the job done.

True, but i cannot name another person who knows the ins and outs of the MH mod or scripted pawns as him? I'm pretty able with uscript, but when messing with scripted pawns and especialy the MH mod lots of strange things happens as side effects as the MH mod is not coded very well.

Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:14 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Also pretty sure Bob knows a lot about MH...

Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:52 pm
Profile WWW

Timmypowergamer.

Also pretty sure Bob knows a lot about MH...

haha, BoB knows nothing :dunno:

Actually, TheDane is right, the easiest way is to use the monster mesh and skins.

A custom playerpawn would be good, and then some custom scriptedpawns with a few AI tweaks to make them see the new playerpawn class as 'friendly'.

B :D

Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:07 am
Profile WWW

erm, is anyone else thinking "Operation Na Pali?"
maybe making something similar to the ONP Follower class?

Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:08 pm

ONP still uses scriptedpawns, it's not really what we want.

What we want is to replace a chosen scriptedpawn with a playerpawn upon blue team replication.

When a blue player spawns, we'd need to select a monster, locate it's class and position, and then load the player as a respective player class, and in that position.

This should be doable with just a gametype, I don't think we need to modify maps.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:02 pm
Site Admin

What we want is to replace a chosen scriptedpawn with a playerpawn upon blue team replication.

When a blue player spawns, we'd need to select a monster, locate it's class and position, and then load the player as a respective player class, and in that position.

This should be doable with just a gametype, I don't think we need to modify maps.

Pretty much hit it dead on the head.

Making it just a mutator with no map modification would be the best thing, it'll allow you to use regular MH maps (similar to how TDM uses DM maps)

The thing is though, is getting the players to be able to control the monsters & selecting the monsters they want to control.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:36 pm
Profile WWW

so when this be ready or is it and i just haven't found it yet??

Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:58 pm

I meant for the other, non player, monsters-Something like MCoop with something like ONP SP's

Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Post Re: Counter Monster Hunt
He, he, what you say is a bit or more hard to do. You cannot fool monsters as you want to avoid hunting you because you are a monster too. This need a hard load in server to make them timed controlled to stop hunting you, this means you will have a double loaded engine for tweaking his own A.I. functions, I mean to Ignore a player in monster suit, Yes Ignore, because they can hunt even other monsters if you check some creature codes. Their default properties is to Hate a player. Once a player entered, no matter what skin is wearing, the monsters will attempt to hunt him down. Engine tells to monsters which is player and which is bot, also which is scriptedpawn and is guiding them based on personal-code behavior. They are not guided by your skin to fool them as being a monster because you are not one of them anyway. For play as monster I have a question. Can you alter your Team 0 as default for be able to kill a player in MonsterHunt? If yes, I ask you for a code because I want to learn this. If you force other team you risk to turn MonsterHunt in a TDM. Did you make some tests with this ? Is also heavy to alter MonsterHunt to put you in other team than 0. Maybe TeamMH is some relevant, it allows you to play as blue, but as a monster I'm not sure about this. I saw this topic about playing as monster a long time ago. You still didn't checked after so many years the MonsterHunt code to see what is about ? Team 0, done. After you finish a map even entered in blue or gold, in next map you will be automatically RED = 0, no other teams is allowed. I recompiled other MH which allows you to change colour direct in game but after game ended the same red colour is set to your skin. I tested this using 2 versions of UT to play as blue and green. Worked fine, I mean at 0 friendly fire will not affect other player wearing other colour. That's about make circus from MH which is based on 0 team against monsters which belongs to no team number. They are only scriptedpawns (wild animals). Can you contact a server without using any team ? I have doubts about that.
I suggest you to pay more attention to those "beautifull" old weapons which ruining Skaarj. Never been a problem any of their classes, if I added in their hands normal UT weapons. Can we fix issues first, before dreaming to other bugs ?

I'm sorry for disturbing if I did that.

Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:29 pm

Post Re: Counter Monster Hunt
Back again, Counter Monster Hunt, interesting subject anyway, maybe someone will request finally to update old Monster Hunt 503 to a better one, with all fixations needed, if that someone will ask for some help, I'm ready to offer a bit my support (testing, suggestions, etc.). A Monster Hunt 2 or 3 or any if is using current maps will be hard to fix all problems as long as the name is the same. We need an improved one, not 503 without RazorJack or buggy quadshot, etc.
Anyway in other version based on current mountain of maps I think I can put some A.I. functions according to Monsters. Dumb questions: What if I make monsters to hunt your WarShells like a cannon ? Will be nasty or not ? How about to make them walking to weapons spots to ambush players there ? Not good ? Improvements to scriptedpawns properties ? Just a few little adjustments can change a bit or a Mbit the game behavior, then we need 400 Monsters to harm the server ? I guess not. Will be enough some 7 big guys hunting everything that moves and We can talk about Monsters Hunting more than Monster Hunt. If you don't like this never mind. I'm working anyway to some real monsters, I'm going to check each class what is doing in detail. Assault is a good inspiration source, and near it, CTF. First, I want to check what can do engine with creatures. Ouch, I forgot, mappers will avoid A.I. paths in maps because we are affraid ? No problem, they will teleport right where they need to be :) :), exactly at 100 map-points behind you :naughty: . Now what ? Good ideea for 900 monsters in a map ? Well, I'm not sure about that.

Good hunting !

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next