View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Copyrights and licenses 
BANNED

Nice.....2 posts and already laying down the law.

Look, if you don't want people opening your code, don't release it. It's just silly to think otherwise.

Yes, you should get permission if you decompile because it's just right. Yes, he probably shouldn't have posted that. But the bottom line is that no one really owns anything made with the unreal engine unless you have a license.

You'd be better off asking the site admin about removing the posts than trying to stir the pot with a bad attitude and passive-aggressive tone. :nono:

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:13 pm

That version BoBstah could be BliZz's since the nexgen is open source & could be improved upon. I'm sure Defrost (the creator of it) won't have a problem with that.

Btw, the latest version out is 108, but a newer one will be done with more to it later. Also BliZz, I happened to see on my computer a version 202 that I got, would that be your newer version?

[Note to Skillz: Are you planning to upgrade your servers to have nexgen instead of ASC?]

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:16 pm

I dont see how the number of posts that i have made has any relevance on my right to comment on my/dU code being posted in this way. And i dont have a bad attutide in the slightest.

Flatus, i know its not his version as the date/time stamps, version numbers, and file sizes match exactly. The 202 version you have is probably the more recent release that i made.

Nexgen is open source, so yes there is nothing stopping you from using it. All im saying is dont imply that it is your version when it isnt. Im sure Defrost and the others wouldnt be happy if you or I were providing links to there original version saying it was urs.

Credit where credits due and all that.

B :)

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:42 pm
Profile WWW

I dont see how the number of posts that i have made has any relevance on my right to comment on my/dU code being posted in this way. And i dont have a bad attutide in the slightest.

Flatus, i know its not his version as the date/time stamps, version numbers, and file sizes match exactly. The 202 version you have is probably the more recent release that i made.

Nexgen is open source, so yes there is nothing stopping you from using it. All im saying is dont imply that it is your version when it isnt. Im sure Defrost and the others wouldnt be happy if you or I were providing links to there original version saying it was urs.

Credit where credits due and all that.

B :)

i never said it was my version i only tested it if it was working with monsterhunt and just uploaded it to my site cause there was no download to find and someone asked for a version that was working with mh and for your DU code i just uploaded it for the radar i couldnt find no other radar if i knew it was yours i would ask if i may use it

Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:02 pm
BANNED

I'm going to post this just once. This is strictly my opinion, and has no connection to Skillz, PMH, or any other member....

I think it's really pathetic when people get all uncorked over "my" code, or "my" mod. Let's take a quick look at the end-user agreement, shall we? (Yes, I know it's for 2K4 but they are all the same)
Code:
11.              Editor and End-user Mods.
(a)                The Software includes an editor and associated tools and utilities (the "UnrealEd").  UnrealEd is a really cool feature which allows you to modify the Software or to construct new variations for use with it.  These modifications and variations can be both playable and non-playable.  UnrealEd is NOT shareware.  You may not freely distribute it to any BBS, CD, floppy or any other media.  You may not sell it or repackage it for sale. 
(b)               Using UnrealEd, you may create modifications or enhancements to the Software, including the construction of new levels (collectively referred to as "Mods"), subject to the following restrictions:
i.                     Your Mods must only work with the full, registered copy of the Software, not independently or with any other software.
ii.                   Your Mods must not contain modifications to any executable file(s).
iii.                  Your Mods must not contain any libelous, defamatory, or other illegal material, material that is scandalous or invades the rights of privacy or publicity of any third party, nor may your Mods contain, or be used in conjunction with, any trademarks, copyright-protected work, or other recognizable property of third parties, nor may your Mods be used by you, or anyone else, for any commercial exploitation including, but not limited to: (a) advertising or marketing for a company, product or service.
iv.                 Your Mods shall not be supported by Atari, Epic or any of such parties' affiliates and subsidiaries, and if distributed pursuant to this license your Mods must include a statement to such effect.
v.                   Your Mods must be distributed solely for free, period. Neither you, nor any other person or party, may sell them to anyone, commercially exploit them in any way, or charge anyone for receiving or using them without prior written consent from Epic Games Inc. You may, exchange them at no charge among other end-users and distribute them to others over the Internet, on magazine cover disks, or otherwise for free.
vi.                 The prohibitions and restrictions in this section apply to anyone in possession of the Software or any of your Mods.
(c)              We just LOVE the idea of you using and distributing content or script from any prior Epic Games, Unreal franchise game in Unreal Tournament 2004 Mod. Therefore we grant you a license to use content from any prior Epic Games Unreal franchise game in your Unreal Tournament 2004 Mods. For the sake of clarity you will not gain any ownership whatsoever in any Epic content or script nor can you use any Epic content outside the scope of the rights granted here. Any attempt to do so will bring about the wrath of our attorneys.

Really you can skip to the last paragraph, but I don't want anyone to think I was taking something out of context. It's right there guys. You don't "own" jack, so cut the elitist, high-brow rhetoric. If you want to challenge that, I *DARE* you to post some silly "copyrighted" uscript code that's yours and tell me I can't alter it. I'll openly change some code, strip out your credits, and *DARE* you to sue me. Creative commons doesn't even count either, as it's not in the public domain (see above). So take your threats and stuff them. I could care less if some faceless name on a computer dislikes anything I do.

Now, let me be clear too that I would not use code without permission, not because I fear anyone, but just because it's kinda the right thing to do. But thinking that your code isn't going to be decompiled is just silly. The tools are shipped in EVERY SINGLE GAME to do that. There is a reason for this and it's because IT'S ALLOWED (see above again).

If you want to do something constructive around here BoB, then have at it. If you only joined to throw stones, :gtfo2: . Blizz has made it a point to bend over backwards to help multiple people here and as far as I am concerned he's doing just fine.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:46 pm

Uscript CAN be copyrighted, If the maker bought a engine licence, So you're not completely right ;)

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:03 am
BANNED

But the bottom line is that no one really owns anything made with the unreal engine unless you have a license.

Try again. ;) BTW, you should read the contract that comes with the license. They still lock you down pretty tight, even with the license.

We have had this discussion ad nauseum on several boards before. Rein had a nice quote on the whole mod scene. I'll see if I can find it. Basically he said "Do what you can do with the engine. We are excited to see your creations, but remember we own the rights to anything made with the unreal engine ."

Oh, and my cousin is a corporate patent attorney in Ohio.

I'm not trying to start a fight, nor say "do what you want", but the truth bears being put onto the table. There is legal right, and there is moral right and a lot of the times they aren't on the same line. Just last week I contacted an old friend about his radar he wrote for UT, and me using it in MH. He declined granting permission, which is his perogative, so I looked elsewhere. Could I use it anyway? Sure, but I'm not gonna. It's not cool. It's the difference between "can't" and "shouldn't" that needs to be highlighted here.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:31 am

This thread has been split to avoid confusion with the modding thread, Please continue copytight related chat here.

Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]